Old 25-03-2004, 04:02 AM
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Green Ash and High Temps

Hiya,
I've found a local source for some Ash trees that are much larger than the
typical nursery offerings and at what I think is a reasonable price. They
have several varieties but I have a concern on one of them. I'm looking to
put an Ash tree into my yard. They carry the plain Ash, (Pennsylvanica
Fraxinus I believe). I live in New Mexico where the summers are hot, dry,
and sometimes windy. I have heard that the pennsylvanica doesn't handle
heat well and will actually burn in hot temps/wind. Unfortunately, they
don't carry Raywoods, Marshall's, etc... Anyone have any inputs on whether
the Green Ash would work well in my enviro?

Thanks much.
jlc

Old 26-03-2004, 05:34 AM
Sed5555

I'm looking to put an Ash tree into my yard. I live in New Mexico where the
summers are hot, dry, and sometimes windy.

I don't know what part of NM you are in, but ash trees do very well here in
Denver. We also have hot (90-100 degrees), dry, sometimes windy summers.
sed5555

Old 27-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Mike LaMana

Cubby:

I ran the grounds Dept. for a college in Santa Fe for a time, and we had
numerous Fraxinus pennsylvannica on campus and in town. They do OK, but will
scorch in excessively hot, dry summers. However, I rarely thought of this as
a real problem as the species is pretty tough.
More importantly they seem to be able to handle the concrete that passes for
soil in the area. I would not shy away from the species, especially if you
are in a position to water it occasionally.

I cannot speak to the heat resistance of the cultivars you mentioned.

Good luck...
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 28-03-2004, 04:32 AM
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Mike,
Thanks a million for the inputs. The nursery that carries these said their
primary client is the
city of Albuquerque. Now usually that would be enough for me except, well
this is Albuquerque we're talking
about. Anyway, your vote of confidence gives me reason to give this tree a
chance. I will be able to water
regularly so that may just help. I just need to figure out how close I can
plant them now as I want to put two trees in
a fairly small area. Thanks much for the help!!!!
cc

Old 28-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Mike LaMana

Cub:

Out of curiosity...who is the nursery you are using out there. I used to buy
some (expensive) stuff from Salman / Santa Fe greenhouses in town, and there
was another guy way down at the base of town just north of the interstate
that sold volume. This fellow would cut great deals to us when buying in
quant., so I think there is plenty of wiggle room in whatever pricing he
gives out. He also used to sell a bunch of (poorly) wild-dug plants.
Mike

Old 31-03-2004, 11:12 AM
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Hiya Mike,
This is a place in Algodones actually called Tannenbaum's. Here's their
website: nmtrees.com (no www in front). They have a pricelist there too.
I'm planning on getting most of my xeriscape stuff from Salman. Their not
cheap but nobody seems to have the selection they do, in terms
of xerics.
Thanks much,