Old 28-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Vine Weevil Vs Asiatic Lillies

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:33:51 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

lsd wrote in message

Hi, Last summer I planted several lillies which did well but were
infested with vine weevil (once they started flowering) which ate all
the green leaves. I eventually got rid of them with a proprietary
spray.

You sure it wasn't Lily Beetle, bright blood red beetles, maggoty youngsters
cover themselves in their own faeces and look like bird droppings. Both
decimate lilies of all types.
Spray with a systemic pest control as soon as you see signs of them,
probably in the next few weeks, or just pick off the adults and crush them
underfoot, they are conspicuous being red.

Or offer the children a small sum per beetle collected, but warn
about financial penalties if the flower beds are unduly trampled
in the process.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada