Old 28-03-2004, 03:09 PM
lsd

Default Vine Weevil Vs Asiatic Lillies

Hi, Last summer I planted several lillies which did well but were
infested with vine weevil (once they started flowering) which ate all
the green leaves. I eventually got rid of them with a proprietary
spray.

The lilly bulbs (which were left in place throughout the winter) are
now starting to push through the soil. How early should I spray to
prevent another infestation?

Thanks
lsd
lsd
Old 28-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Bob Hobden

lsd wrote in message
Hi, Last summer I planted several lillies which did well but were
infested with vine weevil (once they started flowering) which ate all
the green leaves. I eventually got rid of them with a proprietary
spray.

The lilly bulbs (which were left in place throughout the winter) are
now starting to push through the soil. How early should I spray to
prevent another infestation?

You sure it wasn't Lily Beetle, bright blood red beetles, maggoty youngsters
cover themselves in their own faeces and look like bird droppings. Both
decimate lilies of all types.
Spray with a systemic pest control as soon as you see signs of them,
probably in the next few weeks, or just pick off the adults and crush them
underfoot, they are conspicuous being red.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/horti...ily_beetle.asp

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 28-03-2004, 04:52 PM
nambucca

lsd wrote in message ...
Hi, Last summer I planted several lillies which did well but were
infested with vine weevil (once they started flowering) which ate all
the green leaves. I eventually got rid of them with a proprietary
spray.

The lilly bulbs (which were left in place throughout the winter) are
now starting to push through the soil. How early should I spray to
prevent another infestation?

Thanks
lsd

Theres nothing you can spray with to kill Vine weevil

Make up a solution of Armillotox and water the pots well ......this works
lsd

Old 28-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:33:51 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

lsd wrote in message

Hi, Last summer I planted several lillies which did well but were
infested with vine weevil (once they started flowering) which ate all
the green leaves. I eventually got rid of them with a proprietary
spray.

You sure it wasn't Lily Beetle, bright blood red beetles, maggoty youngsters
cover themselves in their own faeces and look like bird droppings. Both
decimate lilies of all types.
Spray with a systemic pest control as soon as you see signs of them,
probably in the next few weeks, or just pick off the adults and crush them
underfoot, they are conspicuous being red.

Or offer the children a small sum per beetle collected, but warn
about financial penalties if the flower beds are unduly trampled
in the process.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 28-03-2004, 09:05 PM
kenty ;-\)

You can get a product from garden centres,I think it is called provado vine
weevil killer,you don't spray the plant you water it with the treatment
mixed in ,it is systemic so the plants take in the solution,thus killing the
vine weevil.

--
Thanks Keith,UK.

Old 29-03-2004, 04:08 PM
lsd

wrote:

You sure it wasn't Lily Beetle, bright blood red beetles, maggoty youngsters
cover themselves in their own faeces and look like bird droppings. Both
decimate lilies of all types.

Thanks for the advice. I was told they were vine weevils but your
description sounds like the pesky critters.

I'm a 6'+ bloke but I couldn't bear to look at them let alone touch
them. Yeuchh!!!
lsd