Old 29-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Alastair

Default Sick plum tree - probably silver leaf

Hi there,

Moved into my new house back in December and the garden contains a
mature plum tree (no idea of age or type). I recall when viewing the
house last summer that it seemed to have a lot of dead branches and
the previous owner had admitted to doing some pruning.
Come this spring, one of the branches developed some distinct fungal
growths and for quite a while I was convinced the whole tree was dead.
To my joy though, I have spotted emergent leaves on several branches.
I now plan to cut out the dead wood and hopefully save the tree.
My main question is, should I still wait till later in the spring
before I do any pruning, or would it be better to cut out the bad wood
straight away?

Cheers
Alastair