Old 29-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Alastair

Default Sick plum tree - probably silver leaf

Hi there,

Moved into my new house back in December and the garden contains a
mature plum tree (no idea of age or type). I recall when viewing the
house last summer that it seemed to have a lot of dead branches and
the previous owner had admitted to doing some pruning.
Come this spring, one of the branches developed some distinct fungal
growths and for quite a while I was convinced the whole tree was dead.
To my joy though, I have spotted emergent leaves on several branches.
I now plan to cut out the dead wood and hopefully save the tree.
My main question is, should I still wait till later in the spring
before I do any pruning, or would it be better to cut out the bad wood
straight away?

Cheers
Alastair
Old 29-03-2004, 02:13 PM
nick gray

"Alastair" wrote in message
om...
Hi there,

Moved into my new house back in December and the garden contains a
mature plum tree (no idea of age or type). I recall when viewing the
house last summer that it seemed to have a lot of dead branches and
the previous owner had admitted to doing some pruning.
Come this spring, one of the branches developed some distinct fungal
growths and for quite a while I was convinced the whole tree was dead.
To my joy though, I have spotted emergent leaves on several branches.
I now plan to cut out the dead wood and hopefully save the tree.
My main question is, should I still wait till later in the spring
before I do any pruning, or would it be better to cut out the bad wood
straight away?

Cheers
Alastair

Hi Alastair,

To reduce the infection of silver leaf, it's best to leave the pruning until
late spring/early summer. Treat any open cuts with wound paint.

Regards

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 29-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "nick gray" contains these words:

To reduce the infection of silver leaf, it's best to leave the pruning until
late spring/early summer. Treat any open cuts with wound paint.

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Cut out any infected branch as soon as the symptoms appear!

If you don't, the fungus will get down into the trunk and - goodbye tree.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Nick Gray

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "nick gray" contains these words:

To reduce the infection of silver leaf, it's best to leave the pruning

until
late spring/early summer. Treat any open cuts with wound paint.

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Cut out any infected branch as soon as the symptoms appear!

If you don't, the fungus will get down into the trunk and - goodbye tree.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

HMMM - RHS says "Prune plums and other susceptible plants in the summer
months when there is little risk of infection.
Apply a proprietary wound treatment immediately: phenolic formulations (Bio
Arbrex Seal and Heal) or octane acid (Growing Success Prune and Seal)."

See - http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ilver_leaf.asp

Cheers

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 30-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Alastair

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message ...
Cut out any infected branch as soon as the symptoms appear!

If you don't, the fungus will get down into the trunk and - goodbye tree.

That's what I am worried about. I think I'll cut out the obviously
diseased branches quick smart!

Hope it survives......

Thanks for the responses. )

Alastair

Old 30-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Stephen Howard

On 29 Mar 2004 04:59:54 -0800, (Alastair) wrote:

Hi there,

Moved into my new house back in December and the garden contains a
mature plum tree (no idea of age or type). I recall when viewing the
house last summer that it seemed to have a lot of dead branches and
the previous owner had admitted to doing some pruning.
Come this spring, one of the branches developed some distinct fungal
growths and for quite a while I was convinced the whole tree was dead.
To my joy though, I have spotted emergent leaves on several branches.
I now plan to cut out the dead wood and hopefully save the tree.
My main question is, should I still wait till later in the spring
before I do any pruning, or would it be better to cut out the bad wood
straight away?

Are you certain it's a fungus?
Plum trees can be shabby beasts at the best of times - the wood is
very brittle and gives the appearance of being dead when it's actually
still viable. My collection of plum trees look frankly awful, and yet
still yield a significant crop in a good year.
They seem rather susceptible to lichen - which some people might
mistake for fungal growth. The lichen forms small, pale to white
fungus-like bracts on the branches. It does no harm, rather it
indicates good air quality.

Given that you've not seen the plum tree "in action" I would be
inclined to hold off on any treatment this year and see what the
summer brings. Once the tree is in full leaf you'll have a better idea
of its condition. It might surprise you and fruit magnificently.

If you're sure it's under attack then the standard advice is not to
prune any wood until after the last frost has passed.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Plum Tree - Silver Leaf FrankB United Kingdom 9 13-02-2015 04:44 PM
Sick Plum Tree JMcC United Kingdom 2 26-07-2007 04:54 PM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
ID'ing common sprouts--probably a tree DigitalVinyl Gardening 12 03-05-2004 04:03 PM
Leaf curl on plum tree Udo Dölz United Kingdom 0 20-06-2003 10:56 PM