Old 29-03-2004, 05:42 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Air layer question

It may well work with Burlap (Sack cloth, Hessian?) but as one of the
main aims of air layering is creating a really good radial root system,
I would avoid it. You can't remove it without damaging the roots and by
the time it rots away the roots will be set in position. I would think
that they would tend to grow downward following the wrapped material
too.

I have tried potting soil but had less success than with chopped
sphagnum moss.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

It works with just plain potting mix, but burlap wrapped arounf the
area works also
SteveW
Long Island NY

---