Old 21-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Brian Berggoetz

Default [IBC] Air layer question

I have not found anything in the archives about this topic. Around here
there is no sphagnum moss sold in stores but there is something called
green moss for hanging baskets. It is long and stringy like sphagnum,
but is green. Is there a big difference between the two or will the
green moss work for air layers just as well?
Brian Sunset Zone 12 Tucson AZ

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Jim Lewis

I have not found anything in the archives about this topic.
Around here
there is no sphagnum moss sold in stores but there is something

called
green moss for hanging baskets. It is long and stringy like

sphagnum,
but is green. Is there a big difference between the two or

will the
green moss work for air layers just as well?
Brian Sunset Zone 12 Tucson AZ

I have no idea what "green moss" is, but I'd bet it isn't
sphagnum. I can't believe, however, that as many nurseries (by
nurseries I do NOT mean Home Depot and other places of that ilk)
as there are in Tucson that you can't find a bag of sphagnum
moss. Too many gardeners are thinking too strongly about air
layering this time of year. Even (especially???) in the desert.

Anyway, check the Yellow Pages and call a few nurseries. You
will find it.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Carl L Rosner

Brian:
I have successfully produced more than a dozen air layers and I use
Bonsai soil. In fact I wrote a short article which is available at the
IBC articles. Try this URL:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ar....php?viewid=21

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 21-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Roger Snipes

The green moss you see will probably work. To get the long fibered sphagnum
moss you will have to go to a regular full service nursery, and they may
have to order it for you. I usually have to have it ordered here, since
none of the nurseries normally carries it on stock.

When you have the nursery order sphagnum you need to be very clear that you
want the long fibered sphagnum, or you will likely end up with a bag of peat
moss.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

Old 21-03-2004, 03:42 PM
marty haber

Old 21-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Wayne Greenleaf

Almost all of our nursery carry little (1gal?) bags. While that is enough
for an air layer, for the price of about 2 1/2 bags you can get a whole
bale. I ask them to order it for me.
Wayne Greenleaf - New Orleans Z9

Old 21-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Roger Snipes

Marty,

It will probably take more than one season for the thread graft to fully
join. It has been my experience that it takes a couple of years for the
branch to fully join with the trunk.

I remember the comment of one of the artists at a workshop (I don't remember
now who it was, so I don't want to attribute the quote to the wrong person),
who said "when the grafted branch appears to be well joined and you are
ready to cut off the donor side, wait one more year".

Old 29-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Steve wachs

It works with just plain potting mix, but burlap wrapped arounf the area works also
SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Shelly Hurd

Well, burlap --may-- work, but I can't begin to imagine how you keep the mix sufficiently moist using it. Where I am you would have to check the rooting medium 20 times a day, and add water half of the time. Glad wrap, covered with aluminum foil works fo
r me. I don't use cut pots or potting mix because the layers I tend to take are usually horizontal and must be wrapped with sphagnum moss and bound well to work.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 29-03-2004, 05:42 PM
kevin bailey

It may well work with Burlap (Sack cloth, Hessian?) but as one of the
main aims of air layering is creating a really good radial root system,
I would avoid it. You can't remove it without damaging the roots and by
the time it rots away the roots will be set in position. I would think
that they would tend to grow downward following the wrapped material
too.

I have tried potting soil but had less success than with chopped
sphagnum moss.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

It works with just plain potting mix, but burlap wrapped arounf the
area works also
SteveW
Long Island NY

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Air layer question Brian Berggoetz Bonsai 2 21-03-2004 02:56 PM
[IBC] Mume air layer was [IBC] Black Pine cutting Brent Walston Bonsai 2 10-02-2004 06:35 AM
[IBC] lost zelkova air layer Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 1 25-08-2003 02:12 PM
[IBC] Air Layer Question Jim S Bonsai 2 27-06-2003 08:20 PM
[IBC] Size Limit For Air Layer Jim S Bonsai 1 24-05-2003 08:08 PM