Old 29-03-2004, 08:32 PM
SueAndHerZoo

Default Still Puzzled about Nitrites

Thank you Happy Camper, Hal, and Lee . . . I really do feel better after
reading your kind words. It's so comforting to know that there are other
people who really feel the loss of "just fish". I was getting teary-eyed
at the office this morning when someone asked me how my pond was doing (a
thoughtful question from someone I hadn't seen since last spring) and the
lady who sits nearby shouted out "I don't know about her pond, but SHE needs
to get a life - she's actually upset about some of her fish dying!"
It's not even worth trying to explain to people like that what they don't
know.

Anyway, you all had great thoughts on the topic, and as tempted as I was to
answer "no, fish population was pretty much the same", that's absolutely not
true since they all had grown bigger. Just as an added note, the dead fish
did not die in a pretty state. They all had blood in their fins and some
areas of their bodies, and the fins were all frayed and tattered looking.

Yes, next year I will start the pump earlier, add airstones earlier, and
hope to heck winter ENDS earlier next year! Thanks again.
Sue
"Lee B." wrote in message
Sorry Sue. It hurts to lose them, especially the ones you've had a long
time.

As to why you lost fish this year, there are several possibilities. One -
they grew. You may not have any more fish in number, but if their total
length was factored in due to their growth, it's the equivalent of adding
more fish. One 18" fish requires a whole lot more than 3 6" fish. As to
why you lost the larger ones, that's classic oxygen deficiency. Especially
if you found them dead in the morning. Smaller fish have less oxygen

demand,
so they can handle the shortage better, which is one of the few times that
smaller fish have it better than larger ones (it's normally the other way
around: larger fish are stronger).

NitrItes are resultant from the filters kicking back in: ammonia --
nitrIte -- nitrAte. You can use ammonia binders to protect the fish from
that, so you get a Zero ammonia reading, but the filter is still

processing
it. The next step is the nitrIte, then nitrAte. Usually nitrIte poisoning
can be controlled with salt - as little as .15 ppm will avoid brown blood
disease.

I don't think your larger fish died from nitrItes. It was probably oxygen
deficiency - or perhaps something else. NitrItes also damage the gills -
little fish have less gill surface and will show the effects more quickly.
They're still alive. Keep the airstones going: I've never heard of a fish
that died from too much oxygen in its water, but I've known plenty that

died
from too little. It can only help.

Again, sorry for the loss of your babies. It hurts.

Lee

"SueAndHerZoo" wrote in message
Hi. If you recall I wrote about a week ago with my koi hiding and

dying.
Some of you suggested nitrite poisoning, which made sense, and when I

tested
the water, the nitrites were high. I have been doing water changes,

adding
salt, firing up the pump and filter, added 2 more airstones, etc. and

the
water tests fine now. Unfortunately, I lost 4 of my very large, "been

with
me from the start" koi. I still break down and cry a lot, especially

when
I'm out working on the pond, and most people think I'm nuts, but I knew
people here could relate - they were my "babies", I raised them from

only
couple of inches long, they ate out of my hand, followed me around the

pond,
etc. Of course a part of it is the guilt - I feel as if I killed them

or
let them down.

But anyway, sorry for the venting, here are my real questions: why is

it
still have quite a few small fish and koi fry that survived, and only

the
big ones didn't make it? I thought it would be the other way around

with
nitrite poisoning. And secondly, I still need to know WHY I had a

nitrite
problem this winter - it's never happened before. It would be easier

deal with this and prevent it from ever happening again if I knew WHAT I

was
dealing with. Thanks for letting me vent - nice to know there's a

place
where I can cry over fish and not feel like a fool.
Sue