Old 29-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default Sweet Peas

from "Saffy" contains these words:

Would I be ok planting them outside this early in the year where I live
(Ayrshire) because I was planning on planting them in pots to plant out
later?

We do ours in two lots. The potted plants from the greenhouse went into the
garden at the beginning of March. At the same time we placed an additional
seed by each plant.
Since planting and sowing we've had some good hard frosts and a couple of
days under snow. Despite this they have put on new growth and the tendrils
are curling round the support net.
We always double-plant like this and get magnificent displays, with the
second planting reaching full height just as the greenhouse plants are
fading.
My knowledgeable neighbours used to "tut" when they saw the plants going out
at the end of February. They do the same themselves now!