Old 29-03-2004, 10:18 AM
MikeH

Default Sweet Peas

Hi

Can anyone advise when is the best time to plant sweet peas outdoors
in the south of England?

Thanks
Sue
Old 29-03-2004, 12:35 PM
nick gray

"MikeH" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone advise when is the best time to plant sweet peas outdoors
in the south of England?

Thanks
Sue

Hi Sue,

You can sow them now (usually from March to May outdoors). Sow where you
want them to flower, 3ins apart. Although you can sow closer and transplant
when the seedlings start to grow. Sweet peas like a sunny position.

HTH

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 29-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Saffy

"nick gray" wrote in message

"MikeH" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone advise when is the best time to plant sweet peas outdoors
in the south of England?

Thanks
Sue

Hi Sue,

You can sow them now (usually from March to May outdoors). Sow where you
want them to flower, 3ins apart. Although you can sow closer and

transplant
when the seedlings start to grow. Sweet peas like a sunny position.

HTH

Nick

Would I be ok planting them outside this early in the year where I live
(Ayrshire) because I was planning on planting them in pots to plant out
later?

Saffy.

Old 29-03-2004, 02:08 PM
nick gray

Hi Sue,

You can sow them now (usually from March to May outdoors). Sow where you
want them to flower, 3ins apart. Although you can sow closer and

transplant
when the seedlings start to grow. Sweet peas like a sunny position.

HTH

Nick

Would I be ok planting them outside this early in the year where I live
(Ayrshire) because I was planning on planting them in pots to plant out
later?

Saffy.

Hi Saffy,

You should be fine, although if you are unsure sow half outside and half
undercover in pots (or keep half back and plant outside in a couple of
weeks). Either way they will catch one another up and all flower at the same
time.

Regards

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 29-03-2004, 07:05 PM
pronoun

Started mine last October. They overwintered well in pots in the cold
frame. I planted them out last week--see subject: Suggestions

Hi,

I have a plastic barrell (~10 gallon) drilled to take flowers. It is shaded
by the house, North side, and overhangs a retaining wall facing the kitchen
window. I thought to plant both sides with trailing plants--such that it
can be turned to give both summer and winter views from the window. Can you
suggest, anything. Sweet Pea is all I can think of.

Howard
South Wales

Old 29-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Robert

Saffy wrote:
: "nick gray" wrote in message
: ...
::
:: "MikeH" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Hi
:::
:
: Would I be ok planting them outside this early in the year where I
: live (Ayrshire) because I was planning on planting them in pots to
: plant out later?
:
: Saffy.

You will do far better if you plant them out after bringing them on in pots.
That's what I find anyway. You must, however, ensure that you do not molly
coddle them as they do not like it; they are quite hardy, even to stand up
to frosting the pot right through for a short period. In the south of
England, they can go out in April as long as you protect them from the wind.
They do not mind the cold, it's the wind that does the damage

Old 29-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Saffy" contains these words:

Would I be ok planting them outside this early in the year where I live
(Ayrshire) because I was planning on planting them in pots to plant out
later?

They are hardy. Planting in pots might give them a start though.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Sue da Nimm

from "Saffy" contains these words:

Would I be ok planting them outside this early in the year where I live
(Ayrshire) because I was planning on planting them in pots to plant out
later?

We do ours in two lots. The potted plants from the greenhouse went into the
garden at the beginning of March. At the same time we placed an additional
seed by each plant.
Since planting and sowing we've had some good hard frosts and a couple of
days under snow. Despite this they have put on new growth and the tendrils
are curling round the support net.
We always double-plant like this and get magnificent displays, with the
second planting reaching full height just as the greenhouse plants are
fading.
My knowledgeable neighbours used to "tut" when they saw the plants going out
at the end of February. They do the same themselves now!

is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2010 11:32 PM
should I bring in the sweet peas before the snow? NAearthMOM Gardening 1 30-03-2003 04:08 PM
sweet peas Ophelia United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Stapling sweet peas SugarChile Gardening 2 26-02-2003 04:15 PM
sweet peas-any secrets to success? NAearthMOM Gardening 12 05-02-2003 06:19 PM