Old 30-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Ron M.

Default Killing small tree stumps

"Jean Staffen" wrote in message ...
I am going to assemble a garden shed in my back yard in a spot that is
presently occupied by three small trees. The trees are volunteers and about
6' high. Castorbeans I think. Here's my plan: Cut them down as low as
possible. Cover stumps with water softener salt (rock salt) and them upend
coffee cans over the stumps. The floor of the shed will cover the stumps
and I'm thinking that the salt and lack of sun will kill the stumps.

Will this work?

Jeez. Just drill a good hole in the stump, straight down through the
middle - the deeper the better - I used a 12 inch drill bit, a 3/8" I
recall. Get a good herbicide like Kleenup and pour it into the hole.
If it's a big stump, like a foot across or something, drill 3 or 4
holes. Gasoline would probably work, too, but the enviro-weenies will
squeal about it if they find out.

It's not really necessary, but if you want to, just for good measure,
paint the top of the stump as well. That black tar-like stuff made for
painting pruned tree limbs is good - I forget exactly what it's
called, pruning paint or something like that.

Ron M.