Old 28-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Jean Staffen

Default Killing small tree stumps

I am going to assemble a garden shed in my back yard in a spot that is
presently occupied by three small trees. The trees are volunteers and about
6' high. Castorbeans I think. Here's my plan: Cut them down as low as
possible. Cover stumps with water softener salt (rock salt) and them upend
coffee cans over the stumps. The floor of the shed will cover the stumps
and I'm thinking that the salt and lack of sun will kill the stumps.

Will this work?

Old 28-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Victor Martinez

Jean Staffen wrote:
Will this work?

I wouldn't add salt. There are specialty stump removers for sale.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 28-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Jim Marrs

If in fact these trees are castorbeans ( not really trees), they will be
very easy to remove. Castorbeans have a relative shallow root system and a
few digs with a shovel should be enough to take them out. Or as an
alternative. just cut them down at the base, they will not resprout.

Old 29-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Jean Staffen

I found out they are not castorbeans, but some kind of Chinese elm or
something. They have varigated trunks - that look like a girafe's coat. I
have taken out 2 of them and they had taproots a good 3" thick. I've cut
down the biggest one and plan to treat it with the salt anyway, just in
case.

Old 29-03-2004, 06:06 PM
John T. Jarrett

If you have a few weekends inbetween the cutting and the building, I'd
suggest a pile of charcoal on each every few days or over each
weekend. Freshen it up with an extra handful when it starts burning
down...We had cigar trees in our back yard and no amount of anything
(including RoundUp which I hated even trying) worked...but the
charcoal on the stumps did!

You just have to keep an eye on it...

John

Old 30-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Steven

I rented a stump grinder for a few hours and shredded about 10 stumps
of different tree species. All of them are history.

Old 30-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Ron M.

"Jean Staffen" wrote in message ...
I am going to assemble a garden shed in my back yard in a spot that is
presently occupied by three small trees. The trees are volunteers and about
6' high. Castorbeans I think. Here's my plan: Cut them down as low as
possible. Cover stumps with water softener salt (rock salt) and them upend
coffee cans over the stumps. The floor of the shed will cover the stumps
and I'm thinking that the salt and lack of sun will kill the stumps.

Will this work?

Jeez. Just drill a good hole in the stump, straight down through the
middle - the deeper the better - I used a 12 inch drill bit, a 3/8" I
recall. Get a good herbicide like Kleenup and pour it into the hole.
If it's a big stump, like a foot across or something, drill 3 or 4
holes. Gasoline would probably work, too, but the enviro-weenies will
squeal about it if they find out.

It's not really necessary, but if you want to, just for good measure,
paint the top of the stump as well. That black tar-like stuff made for
painting pruned tree limbs is good - I forget exactly what it's
called, pruning paint or something like that.

Ron M.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
John T. Jarrett

What did it cost you and where did you find one? I pulled out the
yellow pages but none of the local "rental companies" had one...

John

om...

Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Steve Wertz

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:49:35 GMT, "Jean Staffen"
wrote:

I am going to assemble a garden shed in my back yard in a spot that is
presently occupied by three small trees. The trees are volunteers and about
6' high. Castorbeans I think. Here's my plan: Cut them down as low as
possible. Cover stumps with water softener salt (rock salt) and them upend
coffee cans over the stumps. The floor of the shed will cover the stumps
and I'm thinking that the salt and lack of sun will kill the stumps.

My bottle of RoundUp weedkiller says to drill some holes in the
stump and pour in the weedkiller.

-sw

Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Steve Wertz

wrote:

I am going to assemble a garden shed in my back yard in a spot that is
presently occupied by three small trees. The trees are volunteers and about
6' high. Castorbeans I think. Here's my plan: Cut them down as low as
possible. Cover stumps with water softener salt (rock salt) and them upend
coffee cans over the stumps. The floor of the shed will cover the stumps
and I'm thinking that the salt and lack of sun will kill the stumps.

My bottle of RoundUp weedkiller says to drill some holes in the
stump and pour in the weedkiller.

-sw

What do you use to poison tree stumps? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 5 28-03-2009 11:03 PM
Another Way To Handle Tree Stumps? BroJack Gardening 43 10-07-2004 01:02 AM
Removing tree stumps martin United Kingdom 2 04-05-2004 05:14 PM
tree stumps Mogie Gardening 2 30-09-2003 04:03 AM
Protect Tree Stumps Paul Gardening 15 04-09-2003 10:02 PM