Old 31-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer

You know you can take some cuttings of the grape vines (as Don Ziemann
described to me) and put them in a deep pot with coarse sand and water
it several times a day. (In March several years ago, Don sent me three
cuttings, just looked like a hunk of gnarly wood 3 to 4 inches in width
and about 12 inches long. They all developed canes which leafed out and
by fall I could see new roots starting above the soil line. (When I
repotted the following spring there was a plethora of roots.) I still
have two of them, but have never been able to obtain grapes, which I
expect is due to the lack of sun intensity here in New Jersey. It was a
fun experience. :-(

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Steven-Royal Gold Reps wrote:

Oh, you beat me to it Carl. Shoot! That is one great page.

Speaking of grapes. I have a grape that was growing on my property
when we bought it. The lot next door was vacant and the previous
owners took liberty with the property line. Well, soon after we moved
in the owners decided to build and I had to move the grape. I put it
in a great big 20-25 gallon pot right along with the original soil.
That was over a year ago. It grew well last year even after being
nearly defoliated by late frosts 2-3 times.

This last week I decided it was time to get it in some better soil.
Low and behold I found that the ground level on it had been raised
three times as it had three distinct rings of roots growing down
there. All active. So I separated and divide the lower two and potted
them up too! Now I have three grapes if they take, which I am fully
expecting them to do.

Steven
Northern California

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++