Old 31-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Alastair

Default Sick plum tree - probably silver leaf

Stephen Howard wrote in message . ..

Are you certain it's a fungus?
Plum trees can be shabby beasts at the best of times - the wood is
very brittle and gives the appearance of being dead when it's actually
still viable. My collection of plum trees look frankly awful, and yet
still yield a significant crop in a good year.
They seem rather susceptible to lichen - which some people might
mistake for fungal growth. The lichen forms small, pale to white
fungus-like bracts on the branches. It does no harm, rather it
indicates good air quality.

Given that you've not seen the plum tree "in action" I would be
inclined to hold off on any treatment this year and see what the
summer brings. Once the tree is in full leaf you'll have a better idea
of its condition. It might surprise you and fruit magnificently.

If you're sure it's under attack then the standard advice is not to
prune any wood until after the last frost has passed.

Regards,

I'll take a few pictures, load them up to a website and post a link....
Spotted a couple of blossoms last night so it's definitely not dead.
)

Cheers
Alastair