Old 30-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Sick plum tree - probably silver leaf

"Nick Gray" wrote in
:

Cut out any infected branch as soon as the symptoms appear!

If you don't, the fungus will get down into the trunk and - goodbye
tree.

HMMM - RHS says "Prune plums and other susceptible plants in the
summer months when there is little risk of infection.
Apply a proprietary wound treatment immediately: phenolic formulations
(Bio Arbrex Seal and Heal) or octane acid (Growing Success Prune and
Seal)."

See - http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ilver_leaf.asp

Surely that's about pruning healthy trees, to prevent them getting
infected? If this tree is already infected, it's too late to be doing
things to reduce the chances of infection: more vigorous action is
needed.

The article also says 'Cut out and dispose of dead wood, before the
fruiting bodies have developed, at a point 10-15cm (4-6in) beyond the
area where the stain in the tissues ceases.' Presumably if the fruiting
bodies are developing now, now is the time to get rid of them before
they infect everyone else's trees.

The feral plum trees infesting my garden never show the slightest sign
of any infection, and I chop at them randomly all year round :-(.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 30-03-2004, 03:17 PM
nick gray

See - http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ilver_leaf.asp

Surely that's about pruning healthy trees, to prevent them getting
infected? If this tree is already infected, it's too late to be doing
things to reduce the chances of infection: more vigorous action is
needed.

I'm not so sure as the whole article was discussing silver leaf and not
general plum pruning. I guess it could be read either way.

The article also says 'Cut out and dispose of dead wood, before the
fruiting bodies have developed, at a point 10-15cm (4-6in) beyond the
area where the stain in the tissues ceases.' Presumably if the fruiting
bodies are developing now, now is the time to get rid of them before
they infect everyone else's trees.

The feral plum trees infesting my garden never show the slightest sign
of any infection, and I chop at them randomly all year round :-(.

Maybe your plums are silver leaf resistant (Excalibur) or silver leaf
doesn't occur in your area.

Victoria

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 31-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Alastair

Stephen Howard wrote in message . ..

Are you certain it's a fungus?
Plum trees can be shabby beasts at the best of times - the wood is
very brittle and gives the appearance of being dead when it's actually
still viable. My collection of plum trees look frankly awful, and yet
still yield a significant crop in a good year.
They seem rather susceptible to lichen - which some people might
mistake for fungal growth. The lichen forms small, pale to white
fungus-like bracts on the branches. It does no harm, rather it
indicates good air quality.

Given that you've not seen the plum tree "in action" I would be
inclined to hold off on any treatment this year and see what the
summer brings. Once the tree is in full leaf you'll have a better idea
of its condition. It might surprise you and fruit magnificently.

If you're sure it's under attack then the standard advice is not to
prune any wood until after the last frost has passed.

Regards,

I'll take a few pictures, load them up to a website and post a link....
Spotted a couple of blossoms last night so it's definitely not dead.
)

Cheers
Alastair

Plum Tree - Silver Leaf FrankB United Kingdom 9 13-02-2015 04:44 PM
Sick Plum Tree JMcC United Kingdom 2 26-07-2007 04:54 PM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
ID'ing common sprouts--probably a tree DigitalVinyl Gardening 12 03-05-2004 04:03 PM
Leaf curl on plum tree Udo Dölz United Kingdom 0 20-06-2003 10:56 PM