Old 01-04-2004, 07:21 AM
David Ross

Default How do you prune severely overgrown bushes?

McQualude wrote:

We have some shrubs in the backyard that serve as a privacy fence. The
previous resident never pruned them so they are about 15+' tall. I would
like to whack about 5' off, do I just go at it with a chainsaw?

Don't use a chainsaw. It leaves cuts with torn bark that might
cause rot.

Depending on the type of shrub, you might use hedge clippers. Or
you might have to use lopping shears and hand pruning saws.
Different varieties require different pruning methods. In some
cases, you can cut back to bare branches; they will resprout
nicely. In other cases, bare branches (and perhaps the shrub)
will die.

I suggest you first identify the shrubs. Then check a pruning
book. You don't have to buy the book if you have a decent public
library nearby. Otherwise, a good nursery might let you browse
throught a copy.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean