Old 01-04-2004, 07:37 AM
XDeus

Default Advice needed - Planting Crabapples with graft underground.

Thanks. The trees I purchased seem to be a common flowering crabapple
variety (Prairifire). I'm not sure what benefits the rootstock will
have as size doesn't seem to be an issue with that tree, nor is fruit.
I'm not sure if the rootstock provides disease resistance, or perhaps
it's just easier/faster to propagate them using the rootstock.

part below the graft is chosen for the resultant size of
tree it will support, vigor of the tree, etc. The top part of tree determines