Old 30-03-2004, 05:02 PM
XDeus

Default Advice needed - Planting Crabapples with graft underground.

I just purchased 6 crabapples and was wondering if there is a problem
with planting them with the graft underground. A couple of them have
big, ugly rootstock stumps with what looks like a lot of pruned
suckers. Is there a problem with putting that section underground?
They range in length by 2 to 4 inches.
Old 30-03-2004, 05:32 PM
David J Bockman

It's best to just deal with the unsightly graft and make sure that stem
tissue is above ground.

Dave

m...

Old 30-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Mike LaMana

Do NOT plant the tree so deep that the graft is buried for aesthetic
reasons. The price for that 'look' may well be some dead trees. Plant trees
at the appropriate height, i.e. the natural curvature of the root flare
should be well apparent, and allow some height for future settling of the
soil post-planting.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

m...

Old 30-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Brian

It seems that your rootstocks are more vigorous than the scions and will
continue to send out suckers. The graft should always be at about nine
inches clear of the ground. Any growths from below the graft must be removed
on sight or they will quickly become dominant. Keeping them removed might
stop more forming after a couple of years.
By "Crab apples" I assume you mean apples grown for their flowers and
eventual decorative fruit? [Rather than being grown for Cider] These tend
to prosper better on the MM106 and can show your symptoms if on one similar
to M25.[for Cider/Crab apples]
Your supplier should be able to advise.
Best Wishes.

m...

Old 30-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Sherwin Dubren

Although it may have been implied by previous replies, one of the biggest
disadvantages to allowing growth from below the graft is that this new
growth will no longer be the same variety as what you had growing above
the graft. Certainly for fruit, this usually means a bad tasting result.
Just remember, a grafted tree is really made up of two different varieties. The
part below the graft is chosen for the resultant size of
tree it will support, vigor of the tree, etc. The top part of tree determines
the variety of fruit or decorative plant that will grow on top
of the base part of tree (rootstock).

Sherwin Dubren

Old 31-03-2004, 12:32 AM
XDeus

Thanks for the quick advice. You probably saved me from replacing a few trees.
Old 31-03-2004, 12:42 AM
XDeus

Thanks for the quick advice. You probably saved me from replacing a few trees.

Old 01-04-2004, 07:37 AM
XDeus

Thanks. The trees I purchased seem to be a common flowering crabapple
variety (Prairifire). I'm not sure what benefits the rootstock will
have as size doesn't seem to be an issue with that tree, nor is fruit.
I'm not sure if the rootstock provides disease resistance, or perhaps
it's just easier/faster to propagate them using the rootstock.

crabapples zxcvbob Gardening 6 13-09-2011 02:44 AM
planting crabapples in dec/jan in DC? [email protected] Gardening 1 29-12-2005 03:01 PM
[IBC] crabapples! Craig Cowing Bonsai 10 25-05-2005 02:25 AM
To graft or not to graft???? Rogerx Roses 5 07-08-2004 08:25 PM
[IBC] ramifying underground Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 1 16-05-2003 06:44 AM