Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default Killing small tree stumps

What did it cost you and where did you find one? I pulled out the
yellow pages but none of the local "rental companies" had one...

John

"Steven" wrote in message
om...
I rented a stump grinder for a few hours and shredded about 10

stumps
of different tree species. All of them are history.

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in message

If you have a few weekends inbetween the cutting and the building,

I'd
suggest a pile of charcoal on each every few days or over each
weekend. Freshen it up with an extra handful when it starts

burning
down...We had cigar trees in our back yard and no amount of

anything
(including RoundUp which I hated even trying) worked...but the
charcoal on the stumps did!

You just have to keep an eye on it...

John

"Jean Staffen" wrote in message
I found out they are not castorbeans, but some kind of Chinese

elm
or
something. They have varigated trunks - that look like a

girafe's
coat. I
have taken out 2 of them and they had taproots a good 3" thick.

I've cut
down the biggest one and plan to treat it with the salt anyway,

just
in
case.

"Jim Marrs" wrote in message
If in fact these trees are castorbeans ( not really trees),

they
will be
very easy to remove. Castorbeans have a relative shallow root

system and a
few digs with a shovel should be enough to take them out. Or

as an
alternative. just cut them down at the base, they will not

resprout.
"Jean Staffen" wrote in message
I am going to assemble a garden shed in my back yard in a

spot
that is
presently occupied by three small trees. The trees are

volunteers and
about
6' high. Castorbeans I think. Here's my plan: Cut them

down as
low as
possible. Cover stumps with water softener salt (rock salt)

and
them
upend
coffee cans over the stumps. The floor of the shed will

cover
the
stumps
and I'm thinking that the salt and lack of sun will kill the

stumps.

Will this work?