Old 01-04-2004, 08:36 PM
D Russell

Default Cow muck?

"Simon" wrote in message
I have just been given 2 tonne of cow muck that's been rotting down for

just
3 months. My back garden consists of nothing but grass. We want to put

some
large borders in and keep just a small area of grass. Do I dig the muck

in,
place it on top of the newly dug out borders, or leave it to rot down. The
soil isn't brilliant and has never been fed or had plants in for 4 years
although there are plenty of worms in it. I would say it was a little clay
if anything, we live near the Quantocks in Somerset and the soil is

reddish
in colour not the normal brown stuff.

Thanks for the advice
Simon

You could always dig a large hole, bury some of the manure, with anything
else compostable, and then stick a layer of soil on top, makes for a lovely
hotbed, and you can grow all sorts of nice things on top of that. Melons,
tomatos, cucumbers, and monster marrows/pumpkins etc.

Duncan