Old 29-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Simon

Default Cow muck?

I have just been given 2 tonne of cow muck that's been rotting down for just
3 months. My back garden consists of nothing but grass. We want to put some
large borders in and keep just a small area of grass. Do I dig the muck in,
place it on top of the newly dug out borders, or leave it to rot down. The
soil isn't brilliant and has never been fed or had plants in for 4 years
although there are plenty of worms in it. I would say it was a little clay
if anything, we live near the Quantocks in Somerset and the soil is reddish
in colour not the normal brown stuff.

Thanks for the advice
Simon

Old 29-03-2004, 11:46 PM
David Hill

"..........I have just been given 2 tonne of cow muck that's been rotting
down for just 3 months ........"

Any fresher and the cows could have delivered it personally.

I would be inclined to put it into a heap and leave it till the Autumn to
rot down, then spread it on the borders and let the worms work on it over
the winter

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Simon
writes

I would say it was a little clay
if anything, we live near the Quantocks in Somerset and the soil is reddish
in colour not the normal brown stuff.

To see whether it is clay, take a small piece and roll it into a ball
between your fingers. If you can make a 'marble' out of it, then you
have clay - a lot of clay if you can make it into a worm. If it
crumbles, then it is not clay.

Be pleased if you have clay - clay + humus = loam, very fertile.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 01-04-2004, 08:36 PM
D Russell

"Simon" wrote in message
I have just been given 2 tonne of cow muck that's been rotting down for

just
3 months. My back garden consists of nothing but grass. We want to put

some
large borders in and keep just a small area of grass. Do I dig the muck

in,
place it on top of the newly dug out borders, or leave it to rot down. The
soil isn't brilliant and has never been fed or had plants in for 4 years
although there are plenty of worms in it. I would say it was a little clay
if anything, we live near the Quantocks in Somerset and the soil is

reddish
in colour not the normal brown stuff.

Thanks for the advice
Simon

You could always dig a large hole, bury some of the manure, with anything
else compostable, and then stick a layer of soil on top, makes for a lovely
hotbed, and you can grow all sorts of nice things on top of that. Melons,
tomatos, cucumbers, and monster marrows/pumpkins etc.

Duncan

Old 01-04-2004, 09:41 PM
D Russell

"Simon" wrote in message
[...]

Cow Muck Again Roy Lynch United Kingdom 4 08-04-2004 04:36 PM
[IBC] Carving slate (muck) lynette g smith Bonsai 2 19-12-2003 03:33 PM
Muck Rake Design Greg Cooper Ponds 5 06-05-2003 02:23 AM
Any one need Horse Muck ???? bnd777 United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 08:44 PM
free to good home, muck heap Kate Morgan United Kingdom 0 05-03-2003 02:13 PM