Old 02-04-2004, 12:18 AM
Loki

Default How far apart I should grow corn seeds

il Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:48:12 GMT, "Joseph A. Zupko" ha scritto:

What is the spacing for growing corn?
I read any where from 1 to 3 feet but I think that's too far. Would 6 to 8
inches be ok?
This way they can be pollinated.
Thank you

They are heavy feeders, so need space for feeding, and if you want to
weed you need space for the hoe without fear of slicing them off at
the ankles, and if you want to pick them, as I found out, too close
and your'e trying not to break the ones you brush past. Since corn
can pollinate half a kilometer away I don't think you need to worry
about spacing. Just have them in rows along the prevailing wind. :-)

Too close and they will be smaller. Oh and they also like water so
too close and they'll be competing for the water.
--
Cheers,