Old 02-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default hedging plants - chestnuts & golden hop?

In article . 11,
Victoria Clare writes:
| I've got about 8-10 feet of bare and wobbly fence where a shed was moved.
|
| Though in some ways I like beech hedging best, I do have 2 young sweet
| chestnut trees, a hazel, a holly, and a golden hop tree all sitting in pots
| waiting for me to think what to do with them.
|
| I'm tempted to stick them in as a hedge, thus solving 2 problems at a
| stroke.
|
| Anyone know how they might behave as a hedge? I want them as a screen and
| windbreak rather than necessarily being completely stockproof, and intend
| to keep the hedge trimmed to about 3-4 feet.

Holly, no problem, but it might be a bit small for hazel and
chestnut. You won't get nuts if you do that, but I would expect
them to tolerate being clipped fairly hard, even if they don't
like it.

But what do you mean by a golden hop tree? The standard golden
hop is a herbaceous climber, and will dominate any hedge that
size. There is something called a hop tree, but I know little
about it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.