Old 02-04-2004, 02:12 PM

Default How far apart I should grow corn seeds

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 01:35:37 GMT,
(Craig Watts) wrote:

What is the spacing for growing corn?
I read any where from 1 to 3 feet but I think that's too far. Would 6 to 8
inches be ok?
This way they can be pollinated.
Thank you

FWIW - I read Bob Bartholemuew's (sp?) square foot garden book. He/I
planted a hill of three plants. This helps them during the T-storms
and hail of June. I have had too much knocked down corn in the past.

As far as pollination, when the silks form I go out early in the
morning with a brown paper bag. I collect the pollen from all the
tasles, mix and then go back and hand pollinate the silks. I don't
touch the polline and here in NC ants are my worst enimy.

BTW- Bob Bartholemuew can be found through older PBS shows.

You'll do better if you search for 'Mel Bartholomew'
however. His own website is at
http://www.squarefootgardening.com .

If you read his book 'Square Foot Gardening' be sure to
check the website for some updated, changed advice - one
item of which makes a substantial difference and makes
initial preparation of growing beds very much easier than
his earlier recommendations.

Pat