Old 06-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Michel Place

Default req: help identify this rose (?)

Unique Too wrote:
My guess is a Ademium Obesum, better known here in the states as a Desert Rose.
The best photos I've found online are on eBay.
Plumeria is known for its very strong fragrance and it will have very large,
long (12-18") leaves. In mild climates Plumeria will grow into small to medium
trees, maybe up to 25' or so. It will freeze in cold areas and must be
protected in a greenhouse or such. The Desert Rose has much smaller leaves,
less than 6" and with age a bulbous base.

The stem is pale whitish green and woody. Branches terminate in clusters
of green leaves (usually 4-5 leaves per cluster) and some also have
blossoms. Blossoms have 5 petals, pale pink darkening to red at the
ends. Inside the blossom is yellowish.

I've posted a photo of the plant online (if this matters, the stem
appears much darker in the photo than in reality):
http://monokromatik.com/veethree/flo...rch04/rose.jpg

Thank you !

I couldn't judge the length of the leaves of Plumeria from photos that
I'd found online and couldn't discern any aroma from the single open
blossom as I'm in the throes of a rather bad headcold. My apologies to
the group and Rosarosam in particular for not providing leaf dimensions
and other info in my original post that probably would have made an id
easier. I have a feeling that you're probably correct in suggesting
that I may have a "Desert Rose".

My wife confirmed this morning that there's no fragrance from the
flower, the leaves are quite small, and it looks much more similar to
photos of desert rose that I've been able to find online than to
Plumeria images (I had ascribed the differences in appearance to there
likely being many varieties of Plumeria and was satisfied when I found
one image that resembled my plant).

Lastly, my plant being "Desert Rose" would explain why the clerk at the
shop told my wife that it was a rose.

Thanks again !