Old 06-04-2004, 08:24 PM
dave weil

Default Growing ramblers into trees?

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:58:37 -0500, "jennie"
wrote:

Hello!

I am interested in advise about growing a rambler into a tree. I have a
treed-up ligustrum, about 14 feet high, and would like to plant a rambler,
specifically, an Albéric Barbier, to grow up into it. How far away from the
trunk should the rose be planted? How do I train it before it reaches the
first branches?

(I'm in zone 9 if this is helpful.)

Thanks so much!

People usually advise planting the rose a little ways from the trunk
(maybe a foot or so) and plant it at an angle toward the tree (say
about 30 degrees off vertical). Obviously you want to try to avoid
cutting tree roots if possible.

As far as training, gee, I don't know. I suppose that you could tie
stretchy garden tape around the trunk and bring the canes into the
trunk. If you use the stretchy stuff, you won't have to worry too much
about constricting the canes. You could also use twine, but you'd have
to be careful about how tight you tie them.

Alternately, you could drive some poles (or one of those fan-shaped
trellises) in the ground next to the rose and tie off to that. I
suspect that this would allow you to create a thicker-looking bottom
to the plant as the rose would grow further from the trunk and you
could run them from pole to pole as it grows higher.

The more you bend the canes in arches (without breaking them, of
course), the more branching you're likely to see. IOW, don't just let
them grow straight up but force them to curve.