Old 06-04-2004, 08:24 PM
jennie

Default Growing ramblers into trees?

Hello!

I am interested in advise about growing a rambler into a tree. I have a
treed-up ligustrum, about 14 feet high, and would like to plant a rambler,
specifically, an Albéric Barbier, to grow up into it. How far away from the
trunk should the rose be planted? How do I train it before it reaches the
first branches?

(I'm in zone 9 if this is helpful.)

Thanks so much!

Old 06-04-2004, 08:24 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:58:37 -0500, "jennie"
wrote:

Hello!

I am interested in advise about growing a rambler into a tree. I have a
treed-up ligustrum, about 14 feet high, and would like to plant a rambler,
specifically, an Albéric Barbier, to grow up into it. How far away from the
trunk should the rose be planted? How do I train it before it reaches the
first branches?

(I'm in zone 9 if this is helpful.)

Thanks so much!

People usually advise planting the rose a little ways from the trunk
(maybe a foot or so) and plant it at an angle toward the tree (say
about 30 degrees off vertical). Obviously you want to try to avoid
cutting tree roots if possible.

As far as training, gee, I don't know. I suppose that you could tie
stretchy garden tape around the trunk and bring the canes into the
trunk. If you use the stretchy stuff, you won't have to worry too much
about constricting the canes. You could also use twine, but you'd have
to be careful about how tight you tie them.

Alternately, you could drive some poles (or one of those fan-shaped
trellises) in the ground next to the rose and tie off to that. I
suspect that this would allow you to create a thicker-looking bottom
to the plant as the rose would grow further from the trunk and you
could run them from pole to pole as it grows higher.

The more you bend the canes in arches (without breaking them, of
course), the more branching you're likely to see. IOW, don't just let
them grow straight up but force them to curve.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Sunflower

"jennie" wrote in message
Hello!

I am interested in advise about growing a rambler into a tree. I have a
treed-up ligustrum, about 14 feet high, and would like to plant a rambler,
specifically, an Albéric Barbier, to grow up into it. How far away from

the
trunk should the rose be planted? How do I train it before it reaches the
first branches?

(I'm in zone 9 if this is helpful.)

Thanks so much!

The 30 feet of Alberic Barbier will be a bit of overkill to a 14 foot
ligustrum. You're better off sticking with one of the traditional climbers,
like maybe Fourth Of July, which itself can go 15' easily. Most ramblers
have house eating proportions. My Cl. Mlle.Cecile Brunner is 20' up a
crappy dying ash tree and cascading back down. To plant a rambler up a
large tree, plant just inside the drip edge of the tree on the side the
prevailing wind comes from. The large canes will get swept up into the
branches of the tree where they will hook themselves with their thorns. No
real training needed except for the first couple of years until the canes
start being long enough. I used bamboo poles as vertical supports until the
rose was established enough to start making nice long canes. I like the
effect enough that I now have Trier, Paul's Himalayan Musk, Treasure Trove,
Senateur Amic, Veilchenblau, Queen of the Praries, Amadis, De la Grifferae,
American Pillar, Golden Glow, Leontine Gervais, and Tausendshon all growing
up their own respective trees.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 07-04-2004, 04:33 PM
jennie

The 30 feet of Alberic Barbier will be a bit of overkill to a 14 foot
ligustrum. You're better off sticking with one of the traditional

climbers,
like maybe Fourth Of July, which itself can go 15' easily.

Well, the Alberic is already ordered, so it has to go somewhere! I had read
before I ordered it that it was 15-20 ft, so had anticipated just letting
the ligustrum grow up as the rose approached the top and then have it
cascade down. However, that being said, I have another ligustrum which
comes over the top of a wooden fence and meets an even larger ligustrum on
the other side of the fence, and I realize that that spot might be a better
choice, considering your warning. It can crawl up the top and just loft
itself over the other ligustrum. (Sheesh, the ligustrums! The people who
originally built this house and landscaped were seriously
imagination-challenged. We spent all our first summer here digging up
red-tip photinia, too. Feh.) My sweet neighbor lady will certainly be
able to share my enjoyment, as it will be next to her driveway, visible from
her front window. How big would a newly planted own-root Alberic get in the
first year or so? (I've been ordering from www.heirloomroses.com out of
Oregon.)

I'm so jealous of all your lovely ramblers! Which is your largest? Your
favorite? (Well, if anyone can actually have a favorite, much like choosing
a favorite among your children!) I have two large tallow trees that I
always thought might be suited to having a rambler scramble up them, but was
never quite sure, as they're on the Northeast side of my property, and would
get quite a bit of wind and no afternoon sun, except up at the top. Would
this work?

Thanks so much for your help and advice! Most appreciated.

Old 07-04-2004, 04:34 PM
jennie

wrote:

Hello!

I am interested in advise about growing a rambler into a tree. I have a
treed-up ligustrum, about 14 feet high, and would like to plant a

rambler,
specifically, an Albéric Barbier, to grow up into it. How far away from

the
trunk should the rose be planted? How do I train it before it reaches

the
first branches?

(I'm in zone 9 if this is helpful.)

Thanks so much!

People usually advise planting the rose a little ways from the trunk
(maybe a foot or so) and plant it at an angle toward the tree (say
about 30 degrees off vertical). Obviously you want to try to avoid
cutting tree roots if possible.

I don't think dynamite would damage these darn roots. ;-)

Thanks very much for the advice on the staking. I find as my Don Juan is
getting larger and larger that I'm going to need to do some training, and
perhaps get a trellis. (I always kept it more as a large shrub, and never
had it supported, but it's really fighting me now and wants to take off.)
I guess it's off to buy some stretchy stuff.

Old 20-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Judith Truly

Can you grow a climber up a very large sycamore with first branches about 16
or 18 feet off the ground?
Or is it too shady?
Right now it has trumpet vine (which I'll keep) and poison ivy- which I
attack every year. I live in SE Ohio - zone 6. Is there anything you'd
reccomend? Will trumpet vine and roses do well together?

Old 20-04-2004, 05:03 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:32:00 GMT, "Judith Truly"
wrote:

Can you grow a climber up a very large sycamore with first branches about 16
or 18 feet off the ground?
Or is it too shady?
Right now it has trumpet vine (which I'll keep) and poison ivy- which I
attack every year. I live in SE Ohio - zone 6. Is there anything you'd
reccomend? Will trumpet vine and roses do well together?

Gee, I'd think that if it *were* a really big sycamore that it would
be too shady for sure. I have seen some photos of roses growing into
really big trees with big canopies, but I can't remember what kind of
roses they were (one was in some sort of public garden). Mine grows on
a 16 foot small VERY DEAD sugar maple.

Can't tell you about roses and trumpet vine, because I've never grown
the latter. I know that some people like to grow clematis and roses
together.