Old 06-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Joseph S. Larson

Default Pine needles as mulch in veggie garden

Pine needles are a good mulch in that they let rainwater run thru well,
look attractive, don't bring weed seed into the garden like hay does.
Best of all, they have a chemical which inhibits seed germination, so is
good for preventing weed seed from sprouting. So, don't put the needles
on until your crop is well on it's way - you don't want your veggie
germination inhibited! I like to use themon my ornamental plantings,
and since they are slow to decompose, and thus don't add much organic
matter to the soil, I like to put some compost on first, scratch it in a
little, and then put on the needles. Lucky you to have them available -
I have to scour the town for them, and often am raking them up in our
local cemetery!
Wendy (not Joe, he's the undergardener)

junkyardcat wrote:

We are getting ready to plant our veggie garden. We are thinking of using
pine needles to mulch around the plants to control weeds. Is this a good
idea? My husband is afraid the veggies will taste like pine, but I don't
think so Are pine needles a good mulch to use for veggie gardens? We have
hundreds of pine trees on our land, so it's readily available.

Thanks for your input
Angie

--
Joseph S. Larson