Old 28-03-2004, 05:12 PM
junkyardcat

Default Pine needles as mulch in veggie garden

We are getting ready to plant our veggie garden. We are thinking of using
pine needles to mulch around the plants to control weeds. Is this a good
idea? My husband is afraid the veggies will taste like pine, but I don't
think so Are pine needles a good mulch to use for veggie gardens? We have
hundreds of pine trees on our land, so it's readily available.

Thanks for your input
Angie

Old 28-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "junkyardcat" contains these words:

We are getting ready to plant our veggie garden. We are thinking of using
pine needles to mulch around the plants to control weeds. Is this a good
idea? My husband is afraid the veggies will taste like pine, but I don't
think so

They won't :-) Nor does veg grown in lovely rich home made compost
taste of decayed vegetable matter, ancient manure or worms. Still, maybe
you needn't mention worms and manure.

Are pine needles a good mulch to use for veggie gardens? We have
hundreds of pine trees on our land, so it's readily available.

Pine needles are a great mulch ime and slightly increase soil acidity,
so they are particularly good around anything that enjoys acid soil;
blueberries and strawberries for example.

Janet

Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM
jam

"junkyardcat" wrote in message ...
We are getting ready to plant our veggie garden. We are thinking of using
pine needles to mulch around the plants to control weeds. Is this a good
idea? My husband is afraid the veggies will taste like pine, but I don't
think so Are pine needles a good mulch to use for veggie gardens? We have
hundreds of pine trees on our land, so it's readily available.

Thanks for your input
Angie

Of course you can use pine needles, your veg will not taste of pine it
will be great.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM
redclay

jam wrote in message
om...
"junkyardcat" wrote in message

We are getting ready to plant our veggie garden. We are thinking of

using
pine needles to mulch around the plants to control weeds. Is this a good
idea? My husband is afraid the veggies will taste like pine, but I don't
think so Are pine needles a good mulch to use for veggie gardens? We

have
hundreds of pine trees on our land, so it's readily available.
Thanks for your input
Angie

Of course you can use pine needles, your veg will not taste of pine it
will be great.

Your husband is pulling your leg. Pine needles are acidic so you will have
to monitor your soil's pH and be ready to add some lime. Another thing to
do is run through the needles with the lawn mower before spreading around
your plants. It makes them easier to spread around the plants and makes for
a little denser layer.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Joseph S. Larson

Pine needles are a good mulch in that they let rainwater run thru well,
look attractive, don't bring weed seed into the garden like hay does.
Best of all, they have a chemical which inhibits seed germination, so is
good for preventing weed seed from sprouting. So, don't put the needles
on until your crop is well on it's way - you don't want your veggie
germination inhibited! I like to use themon my ornamental plantings,
and since they are slow to decompose, and thus don't add much organic
matter to the soil, I like to put some compost on first, scratch it in a
little, and then put on the needles. Lucky you to have them available -
I have to scour the town for them, and often am raking them up in our
local cemetery!
Wendy (not Joe, he's the undergardener)

--
Joseph S. Larson
27 Arnold Road

Old 06-04-2004, 08:49 PM
simy1

"junkyardcat" wrote in message ...
We are getting ready to plant our veggie garden. We are thinking of using
pine needles to mulch around the plants to control weeds. Is this a good
idea? My husband is afraid the veggies will taste like pine, but I don't
think so Are pine needles a good mulch to use for veggie gardens? We have
hundreds of pine trees on our land, so it's readily available.

Thanks for your input
Angie

If your soil pH is 6.5 or above, they will be great. If not, you may
want to correct the mulch by adding lime or wood ash, I am guessing
two lb of wood ash
per 100 sqft, if you have 2 inches of mulch. As others have pointed
out, this mulch will work only for established plants, if you plant
seeds in pine needles, even if properly composted, they will not
sprout. Too young seedlings will have similar problems.