Old 06-04-2004, 08:56 PM
FarmerDill

Default Kentucky Sweet Corn

Here in South Cent Kentucky, there are hundreds of acres all around me
that are already sown in field corn. If I sow sweet corn in my garden
now, is there a chance of cross pollination? And what effect will that
have on my corn?

Thanks,
Charlie in Kentucky

Charlie most field cultivars of cornhave a maturity of well over 100 days.
Early cultivars of sweet corn (70 -80) will be done before field corn planted
at the same time tassels. The other consideration is that standard hybrid sweet
corns, Su or Se are not severly effected by a few stray grains of pollen from
an adjacent field, The supersweets on the other hand can be rendered close to
inedible. I think I would just arrange my planting so that my sweet corn is
either ahead or behind the field corn in tasseling.