Old 06-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Charlie Campney

Default Kentucky Sweet Corn

Gretings,

Here in South Cent Kentucky, there are hundreds of acres all around me
that are already sown in field corn. If I sow sweet corn in my garden
now, is there a chance of cross pollination? And what effect will that
have on my corn?

Thanks,
Charlie in Kentucky
Old 06-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Judy

Charlie Campney wrote:
Gretings,

Here in South Cent Kentucky, there are hundreds of acres all around me
that are already sown in field corn. If I sow sweet corn in my garden
now, is there a chance of cross pollination? And what effect will that
have on my corn?

Thanks,
Charlie in Kentucky

You need about a two mile separation to ensure your sweet corn is not
cross-pollinated by commercial field corn

Old 06-04-2004, 08:56 PM
FarmerDill

Here in South Cent Kentucky, there are hundreds of acres all around me
that are already sown in field corn. If I sow sweet corn in my garden
now, is there a chance of cross pollination? And what effect will that
have on my corn?

Thanks,
Charlie in Kentucky

Charlie most field cultivars of cornhave a maturity of well over 100 days.
Early cultivars of sweet corn (70 -80) will be done before field corn planted
at the same time tassels. The other consideration is that standard hybrid sweet
corns, Su or Se are not severly effected by a few stray grains of pollen from
an adjacent field, The supersweets on the other hand can be rendered close to
inedible. I think I would just arrange my planting so that my sweet corn is
either ahead or behind the field corn in tasseling.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Snooze

"Charlie Campney" wrote in message
om...
Gretings,

Here in South Cent Kentucky, there are hundreds of acres all around me
that are already sown in field corn. If I sow sweet corn in my garden
now, is there a chance of cross pollination? And what effect will that
have on my corn?

Thanks,
Charlie in Kentucky

If you're growing sweet corn to eat, cross pollination isn't a problem. If
you intend to save a few ears to grow next year, then it could be a problem.

Do you know if the corn grown in your area is meant for human consumption?
for animal feed? Or worse, genetically modified corn designed to produce
chemicals compounds for use in drugs for pharmaceutical companies.

If you live near feed corn or pharmaceutical corn fields, the maize you grow
is safe to eat, but don't save the ears to grow corn next year. The second
year corn might not be safe for human consumption.

Incidentally only a really small fraction of the maize grown in this country
is actually meant to be eaten by humans. Most maize has been modified for
specific industries, like feed corn, chemical/pharmaceutical corn and I
think there's also a strain of corn designed specifically for the ethanol
industry

Sameer

Old 09-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Charlie Campney

Thanks for your reply,

Could I plant mine later so they aren't pollinating at the same time?
How much later? The field corn is really close. I don't think you
could go anywhere in the county and be over two miles away from field
corn, there is that much of it.

Regards,
Charlie in Kentucky

Judy wrote in message ...
Charlie Campney wrote:
Gretings,

Here in South Cent Kentucky, there are hundreds of acres all around me
that are already sown in field corn. If I sow sweet corn in my garden
now, is there a chance of cross pollination? And what effect will that
have on my corn?

Thanks,
Charlie in Kentucky

You need about a two mile separation to ensure your sweet corn is not
cross-pollinated by commercial field corn

[IMG] code is On

sweet cherries in Kentucky? Kentucky Di Gardening 3 07-04-2006 03:48 PM
Kentucky Sweet Corn Charlie Campney Gardening 0 06-04-2004 08:54 PM
Wimpy Kentucky Pole Bean Plants Kathy Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:56 AM
Kentucky Blue John Gardening 3 26-02-2003 04:03 PM
Kentucky blue John Lawns 3 26-02-2003 03:03 PM