Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Enc. tempensis

GrlIntrpted wrote:

I have an Enc. tempensis with like 3 zillion bulbs growing on a piece of
drift wood. It is about to finish it's bloom and it's growing a ton of new
p/b's. Needless to say that whomever saw and smelled the flowers requested
a division. So now, I'm sitting here and wondering, how do I split the darn
thing. It's beyond full, p/b's growing on top of other p/b's like crazy.
So where do I begin? how do I part these p/b's and how do I start new
divisions? ideas, tips, experiences, very very welcome!

Are you sure you want to divide it? I'd just leave it be. If people
want pieces, you can probably worry off a few growths and pot them up.
No need to remove the whole plant from its mount and chop it into a
zillion little pieces.

Anyway, it should be pretty obvious if you just want a few growths.
Pick a piece that is growing up on top of everything else, sever the
rhizome with a sharp utensil of some sort (sterile/disposable is best),
and pull it off. Most of the growths will have at least a few roots,
you may break a few. I wouldn't worry about it, it sounds vigorous
enough. Dust them with some cinnamon if it worries you. For this kind
of thing, I'd not put it in a pot right away. Give it a chance to heal
up, or mount it like the parent plant.

And of course remember to save a bulb or two for me... *grin*

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit