Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Enc. tempensis

I have an Enc. tempensis with like 3 zillion bulbs growing on a piece of
drift wood. It is about to finish it's bloom and it's growing a ton of new
p/b's. Needless to say that whomever saw and smelled the flowers requested
a division. So now, I'm sitting here and wondering, how do I split the darn
thing. It's beyond full, p/b's growing on top of other p/b's like crazy.
So where do I begin? how do I part these p/b's and how do I start new
divisions? ideas, tips, experiences, very very welcome!

Thank you,
Mariana
In a very windy but very sunny NYC

Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Rob Halgren

GrlIntrpted wrote:

I have an Enc. tempensis with like 3 zillion bulbs growing on a piece of
drift wood. It is about to finish it's bloom and it's growing a ton of new
p/b's. Needless to say that whomever saw and smelled the flowers requested
a division. So now, I'm sitting here and wondering, how do I split the darn
thing. It's beyond full, p/b's growing on top of other p/b's like crazy.
So where do I begin? how do I part these p/b's and how do I start new
divisions? ideas, tips, experiences, very very welcome!

Are you sure you want to divide it? I'd just leave it be. If people
want pieces, you can probably worry off a few growths and pot them up.
No need to remove the whole plant from its mount and chop it into a
zillion little pieces.

Anyway, it should be pretty obvious if you just want a few growths.
Pick a piece that is growing up on top of everything else, sever the
rhizome with a sharp utensil of some sort (sterile/disposable is best),
and pull it off. Most of the growths will have at least a few roots,
you may break a few. I wouldn't worry about it, it sounds vigorous
enough. Dust them with some cinnamon if it worries you. For this kind
of thing, I'd not put it in a pot right away. Give it a chance to heal
up, or mount it like the parent plant.

And of course remember to save a bulb or two for me... *grin*

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Ted Byers

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
et...
I have an Enc. tempensis with like 3 zillion bulbs growing on a piece of
drift wood. It is about to finish it's bloom and it's growing a ton of

new
p/b's. Needless to say that whomever saw and smelled the flowers

requested
a division. So now, I'm sitting here and wondering, how do I split the

darn
thing. It's beyond full, p/b's growing on top of other p/b's like crazy.
So where do I begin? how do I part these p/b's and how do I start new
divisions? ideas, tips, experiences, very very welcome!

Sounds like a tremendous specimen plant. If I had such a plant, I would not
be dividing it without very good reason (such as evidence of problems in the
middle or with the roots). I'd then do whatever drastic surgery was
required to propagate it. But it sounds like it is thriving under your
care, and so I'd leave it alone. If the person making a request for a
division was a special friend or family member, I'd look at making a small
division, removing the pseudobulbs from a part of the plant where it won't
be noticed, just for that person, or if the plant will produce keikis, I'd
try to promote the development of keikis and supply keikis to whoever wanted
a division (providing them first to those people closest to me first). Or,
if keikis are not practicable, you could look at selfing it and then
(perhaps with the aid of a vendor who does that sort of thing) distribute
the seedlings.

But if I had such a treasure, I would be inclined to say, "Sorry, I won't be
dividing it unless absolutely necessary for the health of the plant. Until
that time, I will only consider cloning and or breeding it." But then, I am
not in your situation. No-one n my family or among my close friends grows
orchids, and among the new friends I have made at SOOS, they are better
equiped to grow out seedling than I am and would fully understand if I
preferred to provide seed or keikis instead of a division.

I don't think I've seen an Enc. Do you think you could post a picture of
your specimen plant over on a.b.p.o? Both of an individual flower and the
whole plant?

Cheers,

Ted

Old 07-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Kenni Judd

Ditto to Rob's advice except that I personally would not take a division of
less than 3 pbs. If there aren't already, there should soon be some leads
growing "out into space" that would be easy enough to remove.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids