Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Koi ulcer,please help.

There are internal and external bacterial infections.
ulcers are bacterial, external and almost always start with a parasite infection
which disrupts the slime coat letting the bacterial secondary infection in.
starting in early spring as the temp gets up to 45oF, the fish become more active and
so do the parasites. fish immunity kicks in 10-15 days after the water temp hits
55o. the parasites are faster. stress, from insufficient oxygen, sharp drops in
temperature, poor water quality, birds fouling the pond or other inoculations of
large numbers of bacteria from other sources, not to mention rough spawning all lead
to poor slime coat production and poor antibody. one reason salt is important in
spring it stimulates the slime coat. but lowering stress with pristine water,
keeping the pond covered for more even temperatures, even heating the pond to keep it
above 55o so their immunity is up and running... and of course great aeration to
prevent toxic gas buildup from anything rotting on the bottom as well as good
oxygenation for the fish.
so: 55oF, 0.05-0.1 salt concentration, water changes and aeration.
if bruising or scrapes are seen, then a formaldehyde treatment, antibiotic food is
recommended to knock down the parasite level and saturate the fish with antibiotics.

Ingrid

(John) wrote:

My Biggest Koi (18'') have started having ulcer since two month ago
and it is getting worse, I only captured him once and applied the
medicine, (trust me,it is very hard to capture a fish in 6000 gallon
pond) what should I do? (I do not have a quarantine tank yet) will he
died from it or it will eventually recover? what else can I do?
My other fishes seems to be doing fine. (ammonia,nitrate (nitrite?)
all 0 )
Please advice.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/