Old 06-04-2004, 09:34 PM

Default Prefilter for Fluval 404?

I disagree - I use a block of filter foam over the intakes of my Ehiems.
Medium planted tank (90 gallon) medium population. Every water change
(weekly) clean the prefilters. easy. just cut a block of foam to the size
you need (I'd think 2"x2"x2" for a 404) cut an "X" into the end and slip
it over the intake.

Just my 2cents

Kirk Penney

Graham Broadbridge )
wrote: : "Harry Muscle" wrote in message
: ...
: I asked this question over in the misc group, but since prefilters seem to
: be most often used in planted tanks, I thought I'd ask the same question
: here too:
:
: I'm setting up a 55G planted tank with a Fluval 404. I can't decide if I
: should get a prefilter for the intake tube or not? What are the pros and
: cons of having a prefilter? If it's a good idea, know of any prefilters
: that easily attach to the Fluval 404 intake tube? Or maybe one that
: I can attach to 1/2 or 3/4 PVC pipe?

: Unless you have some fish that likes making salad out of plants (Silver
: Dollars spring to mind), I much prefer leaving the filter to do its job, and
: not bother pre filtering. Q. What does pre filtering achieve in a normal
: planted tank? A. Daily cleaning of the pre-filter :-)

: G.

:
: Thanks,
: Harry