Old 06-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Emery Davis

Default hedging plants - chestnuts & golden hop?

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:20:28 +0100, Victoria Clare said:

] I've got about 8-10 feet of bare and wobbly fence where a shed was moved.
]
] Though in some ways I like beech hedging best, I do have 2 young sweet
] chestnut trees, a hazel, a holly, and a golden hop tree all sitting in pots
] waiting for me to think what to do with them.
]
] I'm tempted to stick them in as a hedge, thus solving 2 problems at a
] stroke.
]
] Anyone know how they might behave as a hedge? I want them as a screen and
] windbreak rather than necessarily being completely stockproof, and intend
] to keep the hedge trimmed to about 3-4 feet.
]
]
] Victoria
]

Hi Victoria,

We've got both hazel and chestnut in hedging about twice the height your thinking
of. The hazel is no problem, the chestnut is so vigorous it is hard to keep neat looking.
I'd guess at 3-4 ft, chestnut should be avoided. The others should be OK, though,
with the caveat I don't know anything about hops outside the glass!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to