Old 06-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Victoria Clare

Default hedging plants - chestnuts & golden hop?

Emery Davis wrote in
:

We've got both hazel and chestnut in hedging about twice the height
your thinking of. The hazel is no problem, the chestnut is so
vigorous it is hard to keep neat looking. I'd guess at 3-4 ft,
chestnut should be avoided. The others should be OK, though, with the
caveat I don't know anything about hops outside the glass!

Thanks all.

From everyone's comments, the chestnuts need more space and the hop and
hazel aren't wide enough to fill the gap alone.

So I bought a few nice little beech saplings - I do like beech hedging -
and will find somewhere else for the nut trees.

Will try to remember once I plant the Golden Hop tree and it's had some
time to develop, to stick a photo on the web so people know what it looks
like!

Victoria