Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Mark

Default Too late for potatoes

Hi

Yet another question!

I'm considering planting some potatoes in a container of some kind (oil
drum? large plastic bin?) in my garden. I've never grown potatoes
before, so it's all a mystery to me.

From what I've read, it looks like I need to 'chit' some 'tubers' (are
these seed potatoes?) by putting them in egg boxes or whatever, then
plant them out and wait (soiling up when necessary).

I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I presume
these need chitting which is going to take some time. Everything I've
read suggests that the potatoes need planting about now, so do I have
time to chit and plant this year?

I don't have room to grow lots of potatoes, but just a few would be
nice. I'd really like some small, waxy potatoes (I've heard that Ratte
and Wilja are good) for salads. I'm not too bothered about bigger spuds.

Thanks!

Mark