Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Mark

Default Too late for potatoes

Hi

Yet another question!

I'm considering planting some potatoes in a container of some kind (oil
drum? large plastic bin?) in my garden. I've never grown potatoes
before, so it's all a mystery to me.

From what I've read, it looks like I need to 'chit' some 'tubers' (are
these seed potatoes?) by putting them in egg boxes or whatever, then
plant them out and wait (soiling up when necessary).

I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I presume
these need chitting which is going to take some time. Everything I've
read suggests that the potatoes need planting about now, so do I have
time to chit and plant this year?

I don't have room to grow lots of potatoes, but just a few would be
nice. I'd really like some small, waxy potatoes (I've heard that Ratte
and Wilja are good) for salads. I'm not too bothered about bigger spuds.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Neil Jones

"Mark" wrote in message
.org...
Hi

Yet another question!

I'm considering planting some potatoes in a container of some kind

(oil
drum? large plastic bin?) in my garden. I've never grown potatoes
before, so it's all a mystery to me.

From what I've read, it looks like I need to 'chit' some 'tubers' (are
these seed potatoes?) by putting them in egg boxes or whatever, then
plant them out and wait (soiling up when necessary).

I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I

presume
these need chitting which is going to take some time. Everything I've
read suggests that the potatoes need planting about now, so do I have
time to chit and plant this year?

I don't have room to grow lots of potatoes, but just a few would be
nice. I'd really like some small, waxy potatoes (I've heard that Ratte
and Wilja are good) for salads. I'm not too bothered about bigger

spuds.

Thanks!

Mark

I've been a bit slow getting my spuds chitted but I think they'll be OK.

Thompson and Morgan sell pre-chitted tubers, but probably a restricted
range of varieties.

Neil

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Neil Jones" writes:
| "Mark" wrote in message
| .org...
|
| I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I
| presume
| these need chitting which is going to take some time. Everything I've
| read suggests that the potatoes need planting about now, so do I have
| time to chit and plant this year?
|
| I've been a bit slow getting my spuds chitted but I think they'll be OK.

Ignore anything that says that. It is total bullshit. My soil
only warmed up enough to plant broad beans a couple of weeks back,
and I shan't be planting potatoes for a while yet. They are
sitting there chitting slowly to themselves.

Yes, you have time. Even for (latish) first earlies.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Mark

"Mark" wrote in message .org...
I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I
presume these need chitting which is going to take some time.
Everything I've read suggests that the potatoes need planting
about now, so do I have time to chit and plant this year?

I've been a bit slow getting my spuds chitted but I think they'll be
OK.

Ignore anything that says that. It is total bullshit. My soil only
warmed up enough to plant broad beans a couple of weeks back, and I
shan't be planting potatoes for a while yet. They are sitting there
chitting slowly to themselves.

Yes, you have time. Even for (latish) first earlies.

Excellent. I'll get some chitting ASAP, but does anyone know anywhere in
Hampshire that I could beg or steal (not sure you can borrow a potato)
some pre-chitted tubers?

thompson-morgan.com does indeed sell them, but only by the 20-odd, which
is far too many for me.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Mark

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Neil Jones

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Neil Jones" writes:
| "Mark" wrote in message
| .org...
|
| I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I
| presume
| these need chitting which is going to take some time. Everything

I've
| read suggests that the potatoes need planting about now, so do I

have
| time to chit and plant this year?
|
| I've been a bit slow getting my spuds chitted but I think they'll

be OK.

Ignore anything that says that. It is total bullshit. My soil
only warmed up enough to plant broad beans a couple of weeks back,
and I shan't be planting potatoes for a while yet. They are
sitting there chitting slowly to themselves.

Yes, you have time. Even for (latish) first earlies.

Sorry, yes - I wasn't clear. What I meant was that I have only just
started to chit my potatoes.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Neil Jones

Old 06-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mark" wrote in message
Excellent. I'll get some chitting ASAP, but does anyone know anywhere in
Hampshire that I could beg or steal (not sure you can borrow a potato)
some pre-chitted tubers?

thompson-morgan.com does indeed sell them, but only by the 20-odd, which
is far too many for me.

Some GC's sell seed spuds in a packet 6 (Suttons?) for trial purposes so
have a look round for those.
Chitting is only to speed things along once planted so it's not necessary
and is certainly a waste of time if you delay planting just to chit first.

Noticed a couple of my earlies (Concorde) are above soil level, bet they get
frosted. (can't use fleece, foxes tear it to bits in a night)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 06-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Robert

Bob Hobden wrote:
: "Mark" wrote in message
:: Excellent. I'll get some chitting ASAP, but does anyone know
:: anywhere in Hampshire that I could beg or steal (not sure you can
:: borrow a potato) some pre-chitted tubers?
::
:
: Noticed a couple of my earlies (Concorde) are above soil level, bet
: they get frosted. (can't use fleece, foxes tear it to bits in a night)

Mine were in a couple of weeks ago but they can go in right uo into June
plus if you like. Not such a big crop but lovely tasting.
PS Who chits the potatoes that come up from being left in last year hmmmmm ?

Old 06-04-2004, 10:37 PM
andrewpreece

"Neil Jones" writes:
| "Mark" wrote in message
| .org...
|
| I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I
| presume
| these need chitting which is going to take some time. Everything

I've
| read suggests that the potatoes need planting about now, so do I

have
| time to chit and plant this year?
|
| I've been a bit slow getting my spuds chitted but I think they'll

be OK.

Ignore anything that says that. It is total bullshit. My soil
only warmed up enough to plant broad beans a couple of weeks back,
and I shan't be planting potatoes for a while yet. They are
sitting there chitting slowly to themselves.

Yes, you have time. Even for (latish) first earlies.

I've just dug up a few potatoe left in he ground from last year, and they
are
not exactly very far advanced ( small shoots, les than a half inch long ).
My soil is clay so is cold, but left to their own devices they would have
developed normally, so it's not too late.

Andy.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Dogger

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:28:04 -0000, Mark
wrote:

Excellent. I'll get some chitting ASAP, but does anyone know anywhere in
Hampshire that I could beg or steal (not sure you can borrow a potato)
some pre-chitted tubers?

I wouldn't bother chitting them just bung them in and off they go. My
Allotment trading hut has a load left that have started sprouting. I
think they were about 80p for 3 kilo.

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
Is it too late for Potatoes Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt United Kingdom 5 10-07-2003 11:08 AM