Old 07-04-2004, 04:33 PM
jennie

Default Growing ramblers into trees?

The 30 feet of Alberic Barbier will be a bit of overkill to a 14 foot
ligustrum. You're better off sticking with one of the traditional

climbers,
like maybe Fourth Of July, which itself can go 15' easily.

Well, the Alberic is already ordered, so it has to go somewhere! I had read
before I ordered it that it was 15-20 ft, so had anticipated just letting
the ligustrum grow up as the rose approached the top and then have it
cascade down. However, that being said, I have another ligustrum which
comes over the top of a wooden fence and meets an even larger ligustrum on
the other side of the fence, and I realize that that spot might be a better
choice, considering your warning. It can crawl up the top and just loft
itself over the other ligustrum. (Sheesh, the ligustrums! The people who
originally built this house and landscaped were seriously
imagination-challenged. We spent all our first summer here digging up
red-tip photinia, too. Feh.) My sweet neighbor lady will certainly be
able to share my enjoyment, as it will be next to her driveway, visible from
her front window. How big would a newly planted own-root Alberic get in the
first year or so? (I've been ordering from www.heirloomroses.com out of
Oregon.)

I'm so jealous of all your lovely ramblers! Which is your largest? Your
favorite? (Well, if anyone can actually have a favorite, much like choosing
a favorite among your children!) I have two large tallow trees that I
always thought might be suited to having a rambler scramble up them, but was
never quite sure, as they're on the Northeast side of my property, and would
get quite a bit of wind and no afternoon sun, except up at the top. Would
this work?

Thanks so much for your help and advice! Most appreciated.