Old 07-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Sunflower

Default Getting rid of a hedge

"Ron" wrote in message
s.com...
I just had someone cut a deciduous hedge down to ground level thinking
that if I cut it down before it started growing again this spring, it
might not come back. However, the guy that cut it said it would just
grow back unless I put "something" on it to kill it. Can someone
please tell me what I can do to make sure it doesn't come back? Don't
know what kind it is but I see them everywhere. It's about 60 feet
long and quite old and thick, so whatever the solution is, it can't be
very labor intensive. Thanks

You're going to be fighting regrowth for several years. The better and more
permanant solution is to dig out the roots. If you hadn't cut everything
down you could have fastened a chain around the bottom and yanked it out
with a truck or tractor after digging around to loosen it up. Even spraying
the resulting regrowth now with a brush killer will take at least a year and
maybe two. A hedge that old has an extensive underground root system.

Sunflower
MS 7b