Old 07-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Ron

Default Getting rid of a hedge

I just had someone cut a deciduous hedge down to ground level thinking
that if I cut it down before it started growing again this spring, it
might not come back. However, the guy that cut it said it would just
grow back unless I put "something" on it to kill it. Can someone
please tell me what I can do to make sure it doesn't come back? Don't
know what kind it is but I see them everywhere. It's about 60 feet
long and quite old and thick, so whatever the solution is, it can't be
very labor intensive. Thanks

Old 07-04-2004, 05:02 PM
McQualude

Ron said:

tell me what I can do to make sure it doesn't come back

Paint the freshly cut stump with Roundup.

--
McQualude
Old 07-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Sunflower

"Ron" wrote in message
s.com...
I just had someone cut a deciduous hedge down to ground level thinking
that if I cut it down before it started growing again this spring, it
might not come back. However, the guy that cut it said it would just
grow back unless I put "something" on it to kill it. Can someone
please tell me what I can do to make sure it doesn't come back? Don't
know what kind it is but I see them everywhere. It's about 60 feet
long and quite old and thick, so whatever the solution is, it can't be
very labor intensive. Thanks

You're going to be fighting regrowth for several years. The better and more
permanant solution is to dig out the roots. If you hadn't cut everything
down you could have fastened a chain around the bottom and yanked it out
with a truck or tractor after digging around to loosen it up. Even spraying
the resulting regrowth now with a brush killer will take at least a year and
maybe two. A hedge that old has an extensive underground root system.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 08-04-2004, 03:02 AM
Judy

Ron wrote:
I just had someone cut a deciduous hedge down to ground level thinking
that if I cut it down before it started growing again this spring, it
might not come back. However, the guy that cut it said it would just
grow back unless I put "something" on it to kill it. Can someone
please tell me what I can do to make sure it doesn't come back?

Paint it with Silvex. That will solve the problem once and for all.

Old 09-04-2004, 06:08 AM
Janice

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 03:07:44 GMT, Ron wrote:

I just had someone cut a deciduous hedge down to ground level thinking
that if I cut it down before it started growing again this spring, it
might not come back. However, the guy that cut it said it would just
grow back unless I put "something" on it to kill it. Can someone
please tell me what I can do to make sure it doesn't come back? Don't
know what kind it is but I see them everywhere. It's about 60 feet
long and quite old and thick, so whatever the solution is, it can't be
very labor intensive. Thanks

Ortho Shrub and Brush killer. Stuff kills elm trees! Cut it as close
to the ground as possible, paint the freshly cut surface and any
exposed bark with it full strength, never had any regrowth. Elm trees
are stubborn to kill, so I'm impressed. If it's too short to cut
again to get a freshly cut surface, there are dilution rates for
spraying, but as I've never used it as a spray, I cannot attest to
it's effectiveness there, but I'm sure you'd have to allow some
regrowth in order to spray it .. for it to take the spray down to the
root zone in order to kill it.

Janice
Old 10-04-2004, 12:33 AM
Ron

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 23:01:26 -0600, Janice
wrote:

Ortho Shrub and Brush killer. Stuff kills elm trees! Cut it as close
to the ground as possible, paint the freshly cut surface and any
exposed bark with it full strength, never had any regrowth. Elm trees
are stubborn to kill, so I'm impressed. If it's too short to cut
again to get a freshly cut surface, there are dilution rates for
spraying, but as I've never used it as a spray, I cannot attest to
it's effectiveness there, but I'm sure you'd have to allow some
regrowth in order to spray it .. for it to take the spray down to the
root zone in order to kill it.

Janice

Thanks Janice and all the others who kindly replied. What a variety of
suggestions! The guy that cut it down offered to come over next year
and dig it out by hand if it was still a problem. I have a feeling
that by the time he was finished, he would own the house!

Old 10-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Roy

Tie a goat next to it , they will make short order of any future hedge
growth.

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 03:07:44 GMT, Ron wrote:

===I just had someone cut a deciduous hedge down to ground level thinking
===that if I cut it down before it started growing again this spring, it
===might not come back. However, the guy that cut it said it would just
===grow back unless I put "something" on it to kill it. Can someone
===please tell me what I can do to make sure it doesn't come back? Don't
===know what kind it is but I see them everywhere. It's about 60 feet
===long and quite old and thick, so whatever the solution is, it can't be
===very labor intensive. Thanks
===

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

[IMG] code is On

Getting Rid of Thrips Shiva Roses 8 08-04-2003 02:32 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Getting rid of ivy Karen C Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
getting rid of vines Elizabeth Jones Gardening 2 19-03-2003 03:44 PM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM