Old 07-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Fito

Default coffee grounds?

"Bill Bolle" wrote in message
Bpyboy wrote:
Hi All,
Well, yesterday I turned my compost (first time for everything, I

guess?), but
it was then I realized that old "Berkely Bob" from the local organic

coffee
shop hooked me up with 10 gallons of organic coffee grounds! Ideally, I

would
have mixed them in during the turning of the compost, but too late now!

So I was wondering, today i'm going to do a final till on my new garden

spot
(well, from last year---I sheet composted TONS of garbage from the local
produce market, and tilled under a couple pickup loads of horse and pig

bedding
to winter over). Can I just broadcast the stuff on the surface and till

it
under? Or would it be a better idea to hang onto it until my next

compost
turning (maybe in a week)?

Thanks,
John

You can broadcast it out and till it in. Coffee grounds are acidic so
if you were to put in that amount into your compost heap you would
have to add limestone to raise the PH. Ten gallons of grounds,
compared to the amount of organic matter you've already turned in,
will not change the PH of your garden plot and will add a small amount
of nitrogen. Besides, it would be less work.
Bill

Tests have shown that used coffee grounds are neutral.

Fito