Old 07-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Bpyboy

Default coffee grounds?

Hi All,
Well, yesterday I turned my compost (first time for everything, I guess?), but
it was then I realized that old "Berkely Bob" from the local organic coffee
shop hooked me up with 10 gallons of organic coffee grounds! Ideally, I would
have mixed them in during the turning of the compost, but too late now!

So I was wondering, today i'm going to do a final till on my new garden spot
(well, from last year---I sheet composted TONS of garbage from the local
produce market, and tilled under a couple pickup loads of horse and pig bedding
to winter over). Can I just broadcast the stuff on the surface and till it
under? Or would it be a better idea to hang onto it until my next compost
turning (maybe in a week)?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Bill Bolle

Bpyboy wrote:
Hi All,
Well, yesterday I turned my compost (first time for everything, I guess?), but
it was then I realized that old "Berkely Bob" from the local organic coffee
shop hooked me up with 10 gallons of organic coffee grounds! Ideally, I would
have mixed them in during the turning of the compost, but too late now!

So I was wondering, today i'm going to do a final till on my new garden spot
(well, from last year---I sheet composted TONS of garbage from the local
produce market, and tilled under a couple pickup loads of horse and pig bedding
to winter over). Can I just broadcast the stuff on the surface and till it
under? Or would it be a better idea to hang onto it until my next compost
turning (maybe in a week)?

Thanks,
John

You can broadcast it out and till it in. Coffee grounds are acidic so
if you were to put in that amount into your compost heap you would
have to add limestone to raise the PH. Ten gallons of grounds,
compared to the amount of organic matter you've already turned in,
will not change the PH of your garden plot and will add a small amount
of nitrogen. Besides, it would be less work.
Bill

Old 07-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Fito

"Bill Bolle" wrote in message
Bpyboy wrote:
[...]

Tests have shown that used coffee grounds are neutral.

Fito

Old 07-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Fito

"Bpyboy" wrote in message
[...]

Throw them all over the place. Till, no till - doesnt matter: the worms will
get to them!

Fito

Old 14-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Jackee

I have a question about coffee grounds. I am a novice gardener and have
been saving my coffee grounds since I hear they can be added to the garden
soil. However, I have heard mixed suggestions on whether they ground should
be moist or kind of dried out. So, I guess I am wondering the ABC's of how
to go about putting the grounds on the garden.

Old 14-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Christopher Hamel

"Jackee" not available wrote in message ...
I have a question about coffee grounds. I am a novice gardener and have
been saving my coffee grounds since I hear they can be added to the garden
soil. However, I have heard mixed suggestions on whether they ground should
be moist or kind of dried out. So, I guess I am wondering the ABC's of how
to go about putting the grounds on the garden.

You can use them just about any way you want. Personally, I just
spread them atop the soil and let the bugs do the hard work.

If you want you can also till them in or throw them in the compost
(along with the filters).

Grounds are good stuff.
Old 14-04-2004, 05:32 PM
simy1

"Jackee" not available wrote in message ...
I have a question about coffee grounds. I am a novice gardener and have
been saving my coffee grounds since I hear they can be added to the garden
soil. However, I have heard mixed suggestions on whether they ground should
be moist or kind of dried out. So, I guess I am wondering the ABC's of how
to go about putting the grounds on the garden.

it does not matter one way or another. worms can pull inch long pieces
of leaves into their burrows (as in the famous experiments by Darwin)
so a coffee grain will be no match to them. But, coffee grounds
contain green molds as well as other growth that can sicken a plant,
so avoid any contact with the leaves. I lost one blueberry and one
lingonberry for carelessly dumping the coffee on the plant.
Old 15-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Pen

Throw them all over the place. Till, no till - doesnt matter: the worms will
get to them!

Fito

Coffee makes beautiful mulch -- especially the smell!
Old 28-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Laser6328

I get my grounds from the local "Kwickie Mart", a gallon bucketfull a day. I
usually add then to my compost. They seem to speed up the action, possibly by
encouraging worms, possibly by their texture/moisture retention. Because they
will sometimes mold, I do not use them directly on my plants.

I have a question, Sometimes when I leave the filterbags around (in the
buckets) I find that funcky looking "worms/larvie" develope in the grounds.
Anyone else ever find these? What are they and how did they survive the hot
water?

Thanks,

Ed

coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 04:03 PM
Coffee grounds to keep out cats? Polar Edible Gardening 9 29-04-2003 11:56 AM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 05:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 04:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 08:15 AM