Old 08-04-2004, 09:15 PM
kenty ;-\)

Default Failed compster?

it sounds like the compost mixture is to coarse & dry,add more kitchen waste
peelings, egg shells etc & more waste from the garden, perennials etc.Keep
it moist at all times, turning occasionally.Hedge trimmings are slow to rot
,so add in small doses.
--
Thanks Keith,UK.
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message LmHcc.37$QE6.11@newsfe1-win, Haphazard
writes
Hi
I have an 'Earth Machine' plastic composter, that has been in use for

maybe
3 years or so. I must admit to haveing neglected it for the last year,

but
am currently refilling it. The problem is...it seems to have stopped, (or
indeed, never really got started)The bottom layers do not appear to be
degrading at all.

Either too dry or too wet. By the sound of it too dry.

Should I wet it, or is there anything I can do to make it work, or work
faster? Main ingredients are grass cuttings, with a few weeds, odd hedge
trimmings, beech leaves etc. I seem to remember having some 'stuff' in a
bottle a while back, that was supposed to give it a kick start, but I

cant
find it, and cannot find anyhting in the Garden centre.

Look out for something like "Garotta". You can cut it with cheaper
ammonium sulphate (or naturally produced urea) and get the same effect.
You should only need to start it like this once per season.

Getting the moisture level and insulation right is important in a small
heap.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown