Old 07-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Haphazard

Default Failed compster?

Hi
I have an 'Earth Machine' plastic composter, that has been in use for maybe
3 years or so. I must admit to haveing neglected it for the last year, but
am currently refilling it. The problem is...it seems to have stopped, (or
indeed, never really got started)The bottom layers do not appear to be
degrading at all.
Should I wet it, or is there anything I can do to make it work, or work
faster? Main ingredients are grass cuttings, with a few weeds, odd hedge
trimmings, beech leaves etc. I seem to remember having some 'stuff' in a
bottle a while back, that was supposed to give it a kick start, but I cant
find it, and cannot find anyhting in the Garden centre.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:07 AM
shannie

"Haphazard" wrote in message
Hi
I have an 'Earth Machine' plastic composter, that has been in use for

maybe
3 years or so. I must admit to haveing neglected it for the last year, but
am currently refilling it. The problem is...it seems to have stopped, (or
indeed, never really got started)The bottom layers do not appear to be
degrading at all.
Should I wet it, or is there anything I can do to make it work, or work
faster? Main ingredients are grass cuttings, with a few weeds, odd hedge
trimmings, beech leaves etc. I seem to remember having some 'stuff' in a
bottle a while back, that was supposed to give it a kick start, but I cant
find it, and cannot find anyhting in the Garden centre.

Sorry it's not a more detailed answer but if you
try this link, you'll probably find all the info you need here.
http://tinyurl.com/2t7xb

Shannie

Old 07-04-2004, 09:33 AM
nambucca

"Haphazard" wrote in message
Hi
I have an 'Earth Machine' plastic composter, that has been in use for

maybe
3 years or so. I must admit to haveing neglected it for the last year, but
am currently refilling it. The problem is...it seems to have stopped, (or
indeed, never really got started)The bottom layers do not appear to be
degrading at all.
Should I wet it, or is there anything I can do to make it work, or work
faster? Main ingredients are grass cuttings, with a few weeds, odd hedge
trimmings, beech leaves etc. I seem to remember having some 'stuff' in a
bottle a while back, that was supposed to give it a kick start, but I cant
find it, and cannot find anyhting in the Garden centre.

Fork out the old contents
and then mix it with new stuff plus some stable manure if you can get it (
try llivery stables , riding schools etc they are usually happy to be rid of
it )
mix the contents very well and add a bucket or two of urine

Urine is the best compost acceleratot going
but mixing and turning a compost bin contents every few months is also vital
plus a shovel full of worms

Old 07-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Martin Brown

In message LmHcc.37$QE6.11@newsfe1-win, Haphazard
writes
Hi
I have an 'Earth Machine' plastic composter, that has been in use for maybe
3 years or so. I must admit to haveing neglected it for the last year, but
am currently refilling it. The problem is...it seems to have stopped, (or
indeed, never really got started)The bottom layers do not appear to be
degrading at all.

Either too dry or too wet. By the sound of it too dry.

Should I wet it, or is there anything I can do to make it work, or work
faster? Main ingredients are grass cuttings, with a few weeds, odd hedge
trimmings, beech leaves etc. I seem to remember having some 'stuff' in a
bottle a while back, that was supposed to give it a kick start, but I cant
find it, and cannot find anyhting in the Garden centre.

Look out for something like "Garotta". You can cut it with cheaper
ammonium sulphate (or naturally produced urea) and get the same effect.
You should only need to start it like this once per season.

Getting the moisture level and insulation right is important in a small
heap.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 08-04-2004, 09:15 PM
kenty ;-\)

it sounds like the compost mixture is to coarse & dry,add more kitchen waste
peelings, egg shells etc & more waste from the garden, perennials etc.Keep
it moist at all times, turning occasionally.Hedge trimmings are slow to rot
,so add in small doses.
--
Thanks Keith,UK.