Old 09-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Fish tales

Default electric fence for ponds?

I am wondering what experience/ advice people may have about the use
of electric fencing around koi and goldfish ponds. I live in the
woods and have gazillions of predators: raccoons, possoms, herons,
owls and an occasional snapping turtle that eat my dear expensive koi;
squirrels and deer that eat and demolish the marginal plants; snakes
that carry off and consume the bullfrogs. After loosing lots of fish
(even with careful sculpting of the pond sides and underwater hiding
places), I had to resort to bird netting staked down on all four sides
and netting overhead to keep owls out. It has worked, but as a friend
says, it looks like stalag 17. And I am constantly repairing holes
the squirrels make. I can't seem to find much information about the
use and/or problems of low charge electric fences made for ponds
online. Anyone have any experience with them or resources?