Old 09-04-2004, 04:33 AM
Ermalina

Default lawnmower for a woman?

linda wrote:

I'm almost 50, have about 3/4 of an acre, with very few trees. I need
a lawnmower that will motivate me to mow! I have a push mower from
Sears, with big wheels in the back, but it's getting too hard for me
to push it around.
Can anyone suggest a mower that won't make me dread mowing the lawn?
How much money should I expect to spend?

We mow approx 1/4 acre and have had a Toro Super Recycler with Personal
Pace (self-propelled but no gears to shift) for four years and love it.

We always mulch, including lots of leaves in the Fall. We did choose to
get it with a cast aluminum deck for durability. We didn't opt for the
electric start and have had no trouble using the standard recoil start,
but that's a personal choice so you might consider it.

Depending on the options -- deck, bagging, electric start -- I think it
can run from $400 to $650. It does a great job mulching, I love the
"personal pace" and it has been NO trouble, just regular maintenance.

Forget electrics, your 3/4 acre is too much for any electric I'm aware
of. In fact, you might be on the outer limits of walkbehinds and perhaps
consider a small riding mower.

Good luck.