Old 07-04-2004, 11:05 PM
linda

Default lawnmower for a woman?

I'm almost 50, have about 3/4 of an acre, with very few trees. I need
a lawnmower that will motivate me to mow! I have a push mower from
Sears, with big wheels in the back, but it's getting too hard for me
to push it around.
Can anyone suggest a mower that won't make me dread mowing the lawn?
How much money should I expect to spend?
Old 08-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Gemini

"linda" wrote in message
om...
I'm almost 50, have about 3/4 of an acre, with very few trees. I need
a lawnmower that will motivate me to mow! I have a push mower from
Sears, with big wheels in the back, but it's getting too hard for me
to push it around.
Can anyone suggest a mower that won't make me dread mowing the lawn?

How about a good lookin' young man in in his thirties?

How much money should I expect to spend?

About $10 an hour the last time I hired one...........

Old 08-04-2004, 01:10 PM
RoyDMercer

Linda,

I have a snapper self-propelled walk behind which I've had for 15 years. It
still works very well. I would recommend getting a mulcher so you don't
have to worry about clippings. They also offer models with electric start
if pulling on the cord is not your thing. You probably will spend $400 or
more if you get the electric start model.

om...

Old 08-04-2004, 10:33 PM
linda

"RoyDMercer" wrote in message ...
Linda,

I have a snapper self-propelled walk behind which I've had for 15 years. It
still works very well. I would recommend getting a mulcher so you don't
have to worry about clippings. They also offer models with electric start
if pulling on the cord is not your thing. You probably will spend $400 or
more if you get the electric start model.

"linda" wrote in message
om...
I'm almost 50, have about 3/4 of an acre, with very few trees. I need
a lawnmower that will motivate me to mow! I have a push mower from
Sears, with big wheels in the back, but it's getting too hard for me
to push it around.
Can anyone suggest a mower that won't make me dread mowing the lawn?
How much money should I expect to spend?

Should I buy one with lots of horsepower? Will that make it easier
for me? And what are electric lawnmowers like? Are they
self-propelled? Are they hard to push?
Old 09-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Larry

How about a good lookin' young man in in his thirties?
Get a 'homely' lookin one- the good lookers are too difficult to keep
interested!

larry

"Gemini" wrote in message

om...

Old 09-04-2004, 02:36 AM
LFR

"linda" wrote in message
om...
"RoyDMercer" wrote in message

Linda,

I have a snapper self-propelled walk behind which I've had for 15 years.

It
still works very well. I would recommend getting a mulcher so you don't
have to worry about clippings. They also offer models with electric

start
if pulling on the cord is not your thing. You probably will spend $400

or
more if you get the electric start model.

"linda" wrote in message
om...
I'm almost 50, have about 3/4 of an acre, with very few trees. I need
a lawnmower that will motivate me to mow! I have a push mower from
Sears, with big wheels in the back, but it's getting too hard for me
to push it around.
Can anyone suggest a mower that won't make me dread mowing the lawn?
How much money should I expect to spend?

Should I buy one with lots of horsepower? Will that make it easier
for me? And what are electric lawnmowers like?

Electric are limited by the length of the cord...electric START (referred to
above) will be easier to start than that damn pull cord...:-)
Are they self-propelled? Are they hard to push?

Self-propelled is a bit easier, but 3/4 of an acre is a lot of grass to cut.

Why not go to Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc (pick one) and speak to one of
the associates. If a riding mower is in your budget, get one of those.

Lynn

Old 09-04-2004, 04:33 AM
Ermalina

linda wrote:

I'm almost 50, have about 3/4 of an acre, with very few trees. I need
a lawnmower that will motivate me to mow! I have a push mower from
Sears, with big wheels in the back, but it's getting too hard for me
to push it around.
Can anyone suggest a mower that won't make me dread mowing the lawn?
How much money should I expect to spend?

We mow approx 1/4 acre and have had a Toro Super Recycler with Personal
Pace (self-propelled but no gears to shift) for four years and love it.

We always mulch, including lots of leaves in the Fall. We did choose to
get it with a cast aluminum deck for durability. We didn't opt for the
electric start and have had no trouble using the standard recoil start,
but that's a personal choice so you might consider it.

Depending on the options -- deck, bagging, electric start -- I think it
can run from $400 to $650. It does a great job mulching, I love the
"personal pace" and it has been NO trouble, just regular maintenance.

Forget electrics, your 3/4 acre is too much for any electric I'm aware
of. In fact, you might be on the outer limits of walkbehinds and perhaps
consider a small riding mower.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Fay

"linda" wrote in message
om...
I'm almost 50, have about 3/4 of an acre, with very few trees. I need
a lawnmower that will motivate me to mow! I have a push mower from
Sears, with big wheels in the back, but it's getting too hard for me
to push it around.
Can anyone suggest a mower that won't make me dread mowing the lawn?
How much money should I expect to spend?

I'm 68 and I bought a Honda. I bought the one with a cluch so I can stop
and pick up something, the blade stops but the mower keep running. It's
very easy to start. I only mow less than 1/4 acre and have a lot of trees
to mow around. I find that if I mow often it is much easier. I set the
speed at what is my speed for that day. If you have steep hills get one
with the big wheels in the back. If your yard is flat get one with small
wheels on the back. The big wheels are harder to turn and go around trees
on a flat lawn.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Anonymous

I second the vote for the Honda. I suggest the Harmony II series that
Home Depot sells. Get the 21" three speed self propelled. I've owned a
lot of mowers in my time and I've never seen one that was easier to
start. One fairly light pull is generally all that is needed to get my
Honda going 99% of the time. Well, I do admit that after sitting idle
from November till March it did take *two* pulls to get going. Very
reliable engine as well.

Fay wrote:

om...