Old 09-04-2004, 05:03 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default electric fence for ponds?

"Fish tales" wrote in message
om...
I am wondering what experience/ advice people may have about the use
of electric fencing around koi and goldfish ponds.

* They would be useless against bullfrogs and snakes, two of the worst
predators of fish in some areas.

I live in the
woods and have gazillions of predators: raccoons, possoms, herons,
owls and an occasional snapping turtle that eat my dear expensive koi;

* We have the SAME predators (here in TN) and only that tough black birdnet
worked. It keeps ALL the predators out of the ponds. We had turtles so
large I could barely lift them to flip them out of the ponds. We were
losing fish as fast as we were replacing them that last summer before we
netted the ponds.

squirrels and deer that eat and demolish the marginal plants; snakes
that carry off and consume the bullfrogs.

* The deer are bad where the water lilies are concerned. They ate the
leaves as fast as they grew.

After loosing lots of fish
(even with careful sculpting of the pond sides and underwater hiding
places), I had to resort to bird netting staked down on all four sides
and netting overhead to keep owls out.

* Owls?

It has worked, but as a friend
says, it looks like stalag 17. And I am constantly repairing holes
the squirrels make. I can't seem to find much information about the
use and/or problems of low charge electric fences made for ponds
online. Anyone have any experience with them or resources?

* Why are the squirrels chewing holes in the netting? Thirst? We're
crawling with squirrels here and they've never touched the netting. Why not
try to put a birdbath on the ground for them? I have seen squirrels
drinking from our birdbath is summer.
--
Carol....
"It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere."